Jacobs Co-Op (Civil Engineering- Bridge Design); Fall 2017, Summer 2018, Spring 2019 REQUIRED in CHICAGO, Illinois
The Buildings & Infrastructure Line of Business is a global network of employees, which serves both the private and public sector. Our employees work to shape the communities we live in by creating world-class projects that transform the future development patterns of those communities. We provide our clients award-winning planning, engineering, architectural and interior design, construction and program management, and design-build project delivery. The Jacobs business model allows us to successfully service our clients, leverage our integrated services, and provide our employees with growth opportunities while delivering global solutions to our client’s local programs.
We consistently receive high rankings from Engineering News-Record (ENR) in many classifications, including the categories of Top Design Firms, Top Contractors, Top Green Buildings Design Firms, and Top Transportation Companies.
Co-Op positions at Jacobs provide college students an opportunity to gain real-world experience in their specific area of study. Students will work alongside world-class professionals in a fast-paced, professional setting which provides invaluable experiences of applying the knowledge and skills learned through education in a business environment.
• Perform routine aspects of civil engineering on bride design projects requiring knowledge and application of basic engineering principles under close supervision.
• Prepare plan documents, conduct field surveys, and/or perform transportation studies under the guidance of a licensed engineer.
• Use computer-assisted engineering software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
• Collect and prepare data for evaluation.
• Assist in the coordination of projects from planning through final design.
• Provide support to engineering and project management staff members as needed.
*First rotation will be with the bridge design team during fall 2017 then next assignment in Summer 2018 could be with bridge, highway design, traffic or construction
• Candidate must have completed at least their sophomore term within a Civil Engineering curriculum at the start of their co-op term. Co-Op is expected to work at Jacobs over three academic terms that meets University requirements. The exact arrangement of academic terms will be discussed as part of the interview process, based on the candidate’s and Jacobs’ requirements.
• Experience with working and thriving in a team environment and collaborating with all levels of personnel and management is required.
• Experience with using analytical, conceptual, and problem solving skills is required.
• Ability to self-motivate and work productively without supervision is required.
• Ability to present work progress with good oral and/or written communication skills is required.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
• Previous internship experience is preferred.
• Knowledge of AutoCAD and Microstation is preferred.
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you'll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.
Title: Co-Op (Civil Engineering- Bridge Design); Fall 2017, Summer 2018, Spring 2019 REQUIRED
Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Requisition ID: BI 0001QA