Jacobs Sr. Drainage Design Engineer in Atlanta, Georgia
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Jacobs seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our team in Atlanta, GA as a Senior Highway Drainage Design Engineer.
• Leads the preparation of roadway drainage design calculations and plan preparation to guide and lead a drainage design team. Performs work engineering design to support our highway design group in the delivery of drainage design with an understanding of H&H, MS4, and drainage design for transportation projects.
• Roadway drainage design experience, preferably GDOT drainage design experience.
• Leads design teams to apply technical professional proficiency to the investigation of drainage engineering problems, the coordination of project activities, and the preparation of preliminary plans and documents.
• Senior resource to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications.
• Expertise with the fundamentals of engineering processes and to can apply them successfully to operating systems.
• An understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering plans and specifications into constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
• Leading the Drainage Discipline on large projects
o Task/time assignment for drainage team members
o PM-type duties: Managing schedule, scope, budget for drainage deliverables
o Coordination responsibilities with other disciplines (outside Drainage)
o Prepares for meetings/presentations to Client and external agencies, third parties, and stakeholders.
o Prepares for and conducts internal and external meetings
o Collaborates as a Discipline Lead with other leads to provide a holistic and consistent approach to Drainage Design
o Reports to Project Leadership and prepares weekly updates on design progress, ETCs, and schedule.
• Designs and develops plans and drawings, which may include the development of preliminary layout and/or final drawings regarding Highway and Roadway drainage design.
• Organizes and conducts engineering investigations and planning work which have a well-defined scope.
• Outlines and prepares relatively straightforward reports of sections of more complex reports, working under the periodic review of a more experienced professional.
• Provides engineering services during construction activities by reviewing shop drawings for conformance with specifications; prepares records and progress reports defining construction progress; observes construction procedures under the guidance of a more experienced professional and evaluates the results from quality control testing.
• Researches feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and regulatory agency specifications.
• Contributes to the development of specifications and permit applications, and writes miscellaneous reports.
• Participates in quality control checks, maintaining quality standards in all work produced, checking computations, and/or reviewing designs and drawings performed by others.
• Coordinates with other disciplines as required. Performs field observations of construction where appropriate.
• Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• B.S. or M.S. in Engineering
• At least 10 years' experience since bachelor’s degree
• Managing a drainage design team to meet budget and schedule milestones
• Technical writing, computer and communications skills required
• CAD, MicroStation skills preferred.
• P.E. required
Ideally you’ll have:
• Experience with GDOT’s Plan Development Process (PDP) and GDOT Drainage Manual, standards and requirements a definite plus.
• Experience in preparing roadway drainage plans and calculations.
• GDOT MS4 experience a definite plus.
• MicroStation and InRoads and OpenRoads experience required along with various drainage design software experience.
• Preferred Software Experience includes:
o HEC-RAS, PCSWMM, HY-8, InRoads (Drainage), OpenRoads (Drainage), Hydraflow Hydragraphs / Storm-sewers, StormCAD, etc.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language. (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf)
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.