Jacobs Lead Electrical Engineer in Birchwood, United Kingdom
At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About the Opportunity
We are currently recruiting for a Lead Electrical Engineer with extensive experience in the nuclear industry to join our Decommissioning Projects business. This role will be based either in our Birchwood office in Warrington or Scrabster office in Caithness, but there will be a need for periodic visits to client sites, as projects require.
The Decommissioning business provides an exciting mixture of consultancy, engineering and project management support, along with delivery of challenging decommissioning related EPC projects, to major clients in the UK across both the civil nuclear and defence industries, including Dounreay, Sellafield Limited, Urenco and Magnox. Overseas, we are delivering similarly interesting and exciting projects across the globe including projects for clients in Central & Eastern Europe and Japan.
We are very proud to have supported these clients for many years, and our partnering arrangements will enable us to sustain and enhance this support in the long-term. We also deliver a number of projects for other private companies and academia needing decommissioning solutions.
You will support Project Engineering Managers with delivery of project works, with responsibility for implementing Engineering Procedures and maintaining standards of technical quality. You will also be responsible for leading a local capability within the Decommissioning business, supporting and mentoring other resources including early years careers personnel. Part of this role will also include leading on developing technical estimates as part of tender responses and work winning opportunities.
You will play a leading role in teams developing typical design deliverables, such as :
• Load Schedules and Block Cable Diagrams
• Specifications for low and medium voltage power distribution, lighting, emergency power systems and UPSs
• Manufacturing and installation specifications to support new plant and equipment projects and/or Decommissioning projects
• Lighting and Small Power designs, including lighting and cable calcs, SLD’s etc, to support other projects
Your responsibilities will be supporting various and diverse nuclear clients providing Front End Engineering Design through to full life cycle project requirements including:
• Waste retrieval and treatment
• Fuel and packaging
• Technical assessment
• Feasibility and Optioneering Studies
• An ability to expertly apply knowledge of commonly used electrical engineering and design concepts, principles, best practices, codes, and guidelines related to electrical engineering industry
• An ability to provide quality control and quality assurance of electrical engineering plans, specifications, and estimates.
If you are looking for a new challenge and are passionate about developing yourself then we want to meet you.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Experience / Skills:
• Degree qualified or equivalent (eg HNC/HND with significant experience) in engineering discipline with extensive design experience
• Chartered Electrical Engineer or similar demonstrable experience
• Electrical design skills, including lighting and small power, Earthing, building distribution
• You will display a broad Electrical understanding in order to be able to undertake different projects in varied locations
• Knowledge of AVEVA Instrumentation and AVEVA Electrical shall be advantageous
• Self-starter with a professional approach and a technical background
• Proven experience within a nuclear or highly regulated environment
• Motivated team member with the ability to work to deadlines and communicate project progress
• Ability to interface and liaise with key client and internal stakeholders
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs. (https://careers.jacobs.com/life-at-jacobs/)
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s –find out more about our employee networks here. (https://www.jacobs.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity?_ga=2.1062705.1096535124.1626879887-1704311048.1575562676)
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), contact the team (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2) .
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know. (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2)
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.