Jacobs Commercial Delivery Portfolio Lead, Transportation in Birmingham, United Kingdom
Jacobs Transportation has an enviable reputation in Highways, Rail and Aviation. The Highways UK infrastructure consultancy sector includes a portfolio of high-profile projects with clients that include National Highways, Transport Scotland, Welsh Government, national and regional contractors and several significant Local Authorities.
Our Rail team provides a comprehensive passenger and freight consultancy and engineering services to the rail sector, covering the full spectrum of railway infrastructure requirements, from business case and project development, preliminary appraisal and feasibility studies through to detailed design, implementation and operational management advice.
Our internationally respected Aviation team are active at all major UK airports, including Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester, with a growing portfolio of overseas commissions.
We are seeking a number of Commercial Delivery Managers to join our team, who have proven commercial delivery experience gained across a range of projects in a multi-disciplinary environment. With a sound understanding of commercial management and contract principles and application
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Head of Commercial Delivery you will work closely with the other Commercial Managers, Portfolio Leads and peers in other Operating Units to develop common ways of working.
GENERAL COMMERCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
• Ensuring collaborative and inclusive behaviours during all commercial interactions to ensure that projects are delivered in accordance with the commercial terms of the relationship, and the best possible outcome is acheived for Jacobs - both with respect to financial performance and client satisfaction.
• Develop and manage the internal Contract Management Plan, maintaining all relevant documentation and systems.
• Liaise with key stakeholders within the Project, including resources from other Partners, to ensure decisions are cognisant of Jacobs policies and procedures.
• Developing and embedding the internal commercial delivery plan for the respective project.
• Ensure each project is delivered in line with the approved profit levels and in accordance with policies and procedures, or provide timely information if expectations may not be met to allow appropriate mitigation strategies.
• Ensure adequate management of interfaces with the Project (provision of information into any project-wide audit processes, maintaining adequate care and line management support to the commercial team seconded into the project, provision of specialist functional improvement-linked support where appropriate).
• Optimization and understanding of margin position and ensuring robustness of end life forecasting.
• Managing liabilities and associated provisions/accruals, including communication of such to the appropriate stakeholders, and the Head of Commercial Manager and Regional Project Directors.
• Compiling the internal commercial risk register and advising and supporting on Risk Mitigation activities in all commercial aspects.
• Identify potential major issues early: intervene and facilitate the mitigation/resolution of issues at the earliest possible time.
• Absolute commitment to safety, health and wellbeing: demonstrable leadership in our Beyond Zero Culture of Caring and in delivery of health and safety performance.
• Inspirational leadership to drive and embed the company values and behaviours including the highest levels of integrity.
• Keep the Head of Commercial appraised of the appropriate commercial people matters, along with escalating events where necessary.
• Line management for the respective commercial team(s), along with undertaking all associated aspects of Line Management.
• Coordination of functional events to ensure engagement by commercial team in such things as the team brief, focus areas, SMEs, etc…
• Development of the adequate commercial resource plan aligned to the project demands, identifying shortages and making suggestions for improvements and optimization as required.
• Mentoring of junior staff members within the commercial team, ensuring project workload is maintained, development is progressing as projected, training needs are met and ensure academic targets are maintained.
• Direct interface with the Project Managers / Commercial Managers/Leads.
• Collaboration with Central Resourcing Function and Head of Profession to ensure appropriate recruitment, career development and progression arrangements are implemented.
• Collaboration with broader operational leadership across the company to deliver corporate objectives.
• Interfacing with, clients, partners, competitors and regulators.
DETAILED DELIVERY REQUIREMENTS
• Ensuring the right collaborative behaviors, ethics and safety standards are applied in accordance with the Jacobs values and the Project Management Plan.
• Preparation, review, submission and presentation (where necessary) of a suite of monthly reports, including order book, project monthly forecast, project cost / value summaries, project C/V summary reports etc…
• Monitoring of end life forecast on all projects to ensure operating profit is maintained and commercial issued are identified, changes are reported in a timely manner, identify and support the mitigation of risks which will have an impact on gross margin..
• Providing information to support the Transportations commercial requirements e.g. Watch List Review, Project Governance reports, etc…
• Ongoing monitoring of costs to ensure value for money for the Client and Jacobs and work in collaboration with the supply chain.
• Ensuring that payments are received / made in a timely manner.
• Attending and contributing to monthly project reviews, OPR’s / PAR’s.
• Change management in the ongoing contracts, ensuring Jacobs governance is adhered to prior to submission to client.
• Close liaison with Project Manager and lead the team in all daily operational activities.
• Provision of commercial advice to project managers and ensuring adequate commercial awareness training is provided.
• Preparation and negotiation of variations, contract amendment and claims where appropriate.
• Developing and maintaining business relationships with Customer and supply chain counterparts.
• Ensuring all relevant records are kept as appropriate, monitor and maintain project documentation records and registers to ensure compliance with client and Wood policies, procedures and expectations.
Supply Chain (including Sub-contracts & Partnering)
• Ensure that Supply Chain contracts are placed and managed in accordance with relevant Jacobs policies and procedures and in a manner, which optimizes Jacobs commercial position.
• Agree and manage internal services arrangements.
• Provide commercial review/input to procurement specifications, ITT’s, tender reviews, purchase orders and contracts.
• Review prepared procurement specifications, purchase orders and contracts.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Holding a relevant Degree and preferably Chartered, you will have proven experience in the Commercial Management of Major Projects in a highly regulated environment including;
o Full project life-cycle involvement (Bidding thorough to Final Account).
o NEC based contracts.
o Experience in leading commercial negotiations.
o Dispute / resolution management experience.
o Joint Venture type delivery models.
• Strategic thinker with excellent leadership skills, the ability to influence others, and communicate effectively at all levels.
• Proactive, with a drive for delivery and an ability to bring stakeholders together around a common vision and deliver it.
• An ability to create an open and trusting environment and engage in high performing teams through a willingness to actively listen, share strengths, admit vunerability, surface differences and speak out when in disagreement.
• Able to connect people and issues and drive a quick response.
• Intervenes to drive continuous improvement.
• Influences and stays up to date with legislative and best practice developments in the industry to ensure we are seen as a leader in our field.
Grow your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, flourish, and succeed.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.