Jacobs Engineering Manager (Rail Infrastructure), Major Programme in Birmingham, United Kingdom
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
As an Engineering Manager (EM), you will to join the Jacobs Transportation team in delivering a new Major Infrastructure Programme as part of the Client team. The purpose of the role includes developing rail infrastructure assets needed by the client configuration as part of a whole life target system. The EM will mature the design by providing client assurance and interface between Designer’s and the client team.
As a vital member of the design team, you will play a key technical role supporting the delivery of projects within the Major Projects and Transportation Group. You will be accountable for day-to-day engineering/technical delivery of work on specific projects, supporting the technical interface between the project and the engineering disciplines and providing direction/guidance/support to the disciplines as required.
Role Outline / Responsibilities
As an EM you will be accountable for defining and engineering management of the rail infrastructure assets, and integration of the rail infrastructure assets system requirements with the programme configuration states in line with the integrated programme lifecycle stages.
The EM is responsible for:
• Assuring the rail infrastructure asset requirements are configured by designers in line with the whole life system requirements.
• Assuring technical compliance through appropriate Verification & Validation and technical approvals.
• Challenging requirements to ensure that the project delivers functionality that delivers the whole railway solution (operationally and systematically) and meets legislative requirements and industry standards.
• Actively managing and mitigating Client system engineering and technical risks, whilst assuring that technical risk is appropriately managed within delivery partners.
• Actively managing and accelerating engineering innovation in relation to meeting Client challenges.
• Acting as a role model for the Client vision and values, by supporting the Clients commitment to customer service, promoting diversity in the workplace, adopting appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues, and encouraging and supporting others to do the same.
• Your own and others’ health and safety by adopting and working to the Clients Health and Safety principles, ensuring you follow safe working procedures at all times.
Specific project and business-related roles and responsibilities for an EM are identified below:
Excellence in engineering delivery:
• Champion a culture of getting it right first time across the programme.
• Support the programme to drive efficient design – making use of a database of standard solutions.
• Support the programme by ensuring a consistent approach to engineering delivery across all designers/ offices.
Engineering Approvals / Acceptance office analysis:
• Drive continual improvement of deliverables across the programme by using Client feedback to track positive and negative trends with designers.
• Implement improvement measures and share good practice as applicable.
• Ensure that the Client and Programme Management team are kept informed on delivery progress.
#railengineeringmanager #UKRail #UKTransportation
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Chartered engineer, or equivalent professional experience and training in the field of engineering or the equivalent in a technical and/or scientific discipline.
• Specification, design and implementation of railway systems preferably gained on mainline railways.
• Delivery and assurance of integrated safety critical solutions within large scale and technically complex projects.
• Analysis of complex data, drawing effective conclusions and rapidly producing solutions and decisions.
• Excellent communication with the ability to promote and execute Technical Strategy and Plans.
• System Integration, Interface Management, Specification, System Acceptance of same and associated approaches and techniques.
• Innovation and change management, including best practice continuous improvement methodologies.
• Risk management and control and best practice architecture and requirements management tools and methodologies.
• Experience in multidiscipline design/design management,
• Knowledge of Eurocodes and British Standards,
• Rail System Engineering knowledge including requirements specification and management, designing for robustness (Whole System Lifecycle), Safety by Design and system integration and verification,
• Customer Focus – demonstrated by successful project delivery to a rail client,
You will also need:
• Broad experience of specifying and implementing railway systems on a major programme working as part of a regulated organisation with multiple complex interfaces.
• Experience of applying the engineering lifecycle including requirements, specification, design, build and maintenance and verification and validation in relation to your specialism.
• Extensive experience of railway systems specification and design, including interface definition and management and control of same on a multi-disciplinary programme.
• Detailed understanding of at least one railway system, what its critical dependencies and interfaces are (including operational ones) and how this should be managed and controlled on a safety critical programme.
• Excellent experience of engaging with peers and stakeholders on your specialism.
• Extensive experience of change management, rapidly adapting to emerging requirements, changing circumstances and high levels of uncertainty and ambiguity in a fast-changing environment.
• Working within relevant UK rail industry legislation and standards.
• Relevant experience in delivering rail projects for UK or Europe rail clients.
Grow your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, flourish, and succeed.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.