Jacobs Principal Engineer, Transportation in Birmingham, United Kingdom
Thriving communities. Healthy cities. A brighter future. We work every day to make the world better. Jacobs will invest in you, your success, and the global community.
Jacobs has an enviable reputation in the UK Transportation consultancy sector due to our market leading portfolio of high profile major projects with international, national and local clients that include: National Highways (formerly Highways England), Transport Scotland, Network Rail, the Welsh Government and National Contractors. We work for many of the councils and transport authorities running the UK’s largest cities including London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin, Leeds, Manchester and have long standing client relationships and ambitious growth plans.
As we prepare for a more automated, digital and decarbonised future, we will provide the training and transferable skills to take your knowledge to different markets.
We are looking for a number of experienced highways design and project leads to join various locations around the UK. You will support with both the continued growth of our talent and capability and the delivery leadership of our long term pipeline of infrastructure design work.
You will be an inclusive leader and will help take our business forward by being open and engaged with our Delivery 4.0 agenda to help transform and improve the way we deliver value to Clients. D4.O is about having a customer focused culture which adopts agile, collaborative and lean ways of working and looks for ways to be data driven and automated, where beneficial.
Flexible working for everyone, in any role and for any reason
With our UK delivery centres growing nationwide, we can be flexible with regards your location and also encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts. We are following the ‘hybrid’ model of remote working combined with days in the office when it makes sense to do so, for example, for meetings or mentoring reasons.
Flexible working is open to all employees and is simply the way we work. We recognise individuals have varying flexibility needs and wants. Regardless of reason, all employees can request to work flexibly. Flexibility at Jacobs is about pushing boundaries, thinking differently, and exploring what is possible within the team and organisation to make flexibility work.
You will be responsible for design delivery on a variety of exciting projects within our transportation business. Each project will be specifically aligned to your abilities and career aspirations.
• You will engage with our transformation agenda ‘Delivery 4.0’ and help others understand the need to look for process efficiencies, opportunities for automation and agile working in everything we do, as we evolve into providing solutions not just designs;
• You will lead and mentor a team of engineers, technicians and apprentices in an environment where teams share best practice and support one another towards a common project goal.
• You and the team you lead will be responsible for the efficient production of quality design solutions to programme and budget.
• You will collaborate with other disciplines and stakeholders globally to provide an integrated service to our clients.
• You will be empowered to challenge today so that we can re-invent tomorrow together.
• You will be developed to line manage other staff locally and become a valued part of one of our family trees. As others support you in being the best that you can be, you will help develop and care for your direct reports and those you may locally supervise.
• Linked to the above, you will support staff who wish to be more agile across our transportation sectors or use their skills in different parts of the business, liaising with our internal Career Partners where appropriate, to facilitate internal moves.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• A proven record of managing engineering design solutions in transportation. We will consider experience from other sectors if you believe you have something to offer in terms of delivery transformation.
• Open and inclusive mind set. Our employees come from many diverse backgrounds and countries and you will be supported to increase your cultural awareness and manage and embrace different perspectives to solving design problems.
• Proven technical experience of delivering Major Highway, Local Road or other transportation projects.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
• Ability to lead small to medium sized teams effectively and support their development.
• Thorough understanding of commonly used design standards such as DMRB, and areas not covered by standards in your related area of expertise.
• Sound knowledge of H&S legislation and a passion for fostering wellbeing in your teams and projects.
• Ability to present to external stakeholders, including the client, in your area of expertise.
• Capable of managing a challenging workload subject to change at short notice and knowing when to escalate to senior management when scope changes have a material impact on the team, the solution, the programme or cost.
• Good IT Skills.
• Ability to work independently and effectively within a global multi-disciplinary team.
• Experience of the financial management and control of projects.
If from a transportation background, ideally, you’ll also have:
• Experience or knowledge of Building Information Modelling (BIM).
• Experience of undertaking client facing roles.
• Experience of construction supervision and or liaison.
• Good working knowledge of different contract types and procurement options.
• Attained a relevant professional qualification, for example CEng.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.