Jacobs Quantity Surveyor, Transportation in Birmingham, United Kingdom
Jacobs Transportation has an enviable reputation in Highways, Rail and Aviation. The Highways UK infrastructure consultancy sector includes a portfolio of high-profile projects with clients that include National Highways (NH), Transport Scotland, Welsh Government, national and regional contractors and several significant Local Authorities.
Our Rail team provides a comprehensive passenger and freight consultancy and engineering services to the rail sector, covering the full spectrum of railway infrastructure requirements, from business case and project development, preliminary appraisal and feasibility studies through to detailed design, implementation and operational management advice.
Our internationally respected Aviation team are active at all major UK airports, including Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester, with a growing portfolio of overseas commissions.
We are seeking the appointment of several Senior Quantity Surveyors and Quantity Surveyors to join our team, who have proven commercial delivery experience gained across a range of projects in a multi-disciplinary environment. With a sound understanding of commercial management, contract principles and application
About the opportunity:
The roles of the Senior Quantity Surveyor and Quantity Surveyor are within the Project Services Group of Jacobs Transportation Sector which span all the Transportation portfolio i.e Rail, Local Government, National Highways and Aviation. The successful candidates will provide clients with a full range of pre and post contract quantity surveying and commercial management services.
Primary Job Responsibilities
Include, but not limited to the following:
• Utilise Jacobs best practice tools and processes to support the effective commercial project delivery
• Support the PM and Commercial Manager (if applicable) to manage projects through the entire project lifecycle.
• Prepare estimates, cost plans and tender documentation using various forms of measurement and contracts.
• Be proficient in measurement for schedules of works and bills of quantities production.
• Manage and prepare both tender and contract documentation.
• Support and input into procurement and tendering processes and evaluation/award of contracts.
• Prepare and agree interim valuations with contractors and issue recommendations for payment.
• Pricing variations/compensation events throughout the duration of the contract and provide cost advice.
• Attend client and progress meetings and provide input and support to the project.
• Price and prepare monthly financial reports and cashflow forecasts throughout the duration of contracts and provide general post contract cost management and control.
• Provide input into the financial aspects of change management.
• Carry out re-measurement of quantities with contractors if necessary and prepare and agree final accounts and claims. Prepare final accounts for clients that are suitable for audit.
• Prepare and analyse statistical cost information to monitor trends in the construction industry and apply to cost planning future projects.
• Administer and/or provide advice on contracts, typically the JCT, NEC or bespoke client forms of contract.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Degree educated in quantity surveying or other relevant qualification i.e.
• Professional qualification, or working towards: Preferable if Chartered Quantity Surveyor (MRICS or equivalent).
• Working knowledge of standard forms of contract, typically JCT and NEC.
• Full pre- and post-contract QS knowledge and experience.
• Good general commercial and contract awareness.
• Good team player.
• Able to act on own initiative.
• Willingness to travel.
• Full clean UK driving licence with own car
Ideally, here’s what you’ll also have:
• Experience across public facilities (including refurbishment) and infrastructure projects, particularly rail and highways, would be desirable but not essential.
• Experience of working within security restricted environments would also be desirable, but not essential.
Grow your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, flourish, and succeed.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.