Jacobs Engineering Manager - Highways in Bristol, United Kingdom
Jacobs Transportation has an enviable reputation in Highways, Rail and Aviation. The Highways UK infrastructure consultancy sector includes a portfolio of high-profile projects with clients that include National Highways (NH), formally known as Highways England (HE), Transport Scotland, Welsh Government, Transport Infrastructure Ireland (NII), , international, national and regional contractors and various Local Authorities. Our Highways team provides comprehensive consultancy and engineering services to the highways sector, covering the full spectrum of highway infrastructure requirements, from business case and project development, preliminary appraisal and feasibility studies through to detailed design, implementation, operational management advice and operations and maintenance.
Jacobs are looking for Engineering Managers (EMs) who will technically lead and manage the provision of consultancy services to major clients in the Transportation sector delivering a range of multi-disciplinary projects in the UK, Europe and across the globe. EMs are accountable for all aspects of the day-to-day engineering and technical delivery of work on specific projects. They support the technical interface between the Project and the engineering and technical disciplines, providing direction/guidance/support as required.
The EM is responsible for ensuring the scope is well-defined and that there is a clear understanding of the project remit and the budget for each activity to be carried out by each discipline. The EM will ensure that there is appropriate dialogue between the disciplines during the project life, and, where necessary, between the different offices involved in the project. The EM will also monitor the outputs from the disciplines to ensure that they cover all aspects of the remit and are consistent with each other.
As an Engineering Manager within our Transportation business, you will undertake a key role in delivering our clients’ requirements. Working closely with the Project Manager you will be the controlling mind over the engineering and technical delivery across all aspects. As an individual we would look to you to show experience in leadership, delivery performance, excellent communication skills combined with being a team player. The knowledge, skills and experience we value are varied as we continue to develop diverse teams.
You will help to foster a culture of knowledge sharing and continuous improvement, demonstrating adaptability and commitment to supporting others across the team in delivering a high-quality service. Showing leadership of a team of diverse individuals, actively encouraging new ways of thinking to provide an agile delivery environment.
In delivery you should understand your clients’ requirements and the impacts of the success factors of the project, developing a schedule and delivery plan to ensure success. Provide a proactive risk identification and mitigation environment that allows for innovation and creative agile delivery. With a track record of successfully delivering complex multi-disciplinary projects within budget and on schedule. Delivering a safe working culture within project teams that you are responsible for and to promote safety within all aspects of your work.
As the technical leader and member of the project team you should have excellent communication skills, allowing you to maintain relationships with your client, your team and the Jacobs organisation. You will communicate progress, potential issues and risks to inform and proposed mitigation to your client, the Project Manager and internally.
You will support the Project Manager to control budgets for projects, escalation points, key milestones and targets including time, cost, quality and safety to ensure that objectives are achieved in line with programme plans.
• Engineering Interface management and coordination support Project Managers in technical delivery.
• Champion the consistent use of Jacobs delivery tools/processes which ensure that all parties have an agreed understanding of the project and their part within it.
• Champion a culture of getting design and delivery right first time.
• Encourage “outside the box” thinking and drive innovative solutions.
• Drive continual improvement of our deliverables by using digital delivery tools, Lessons Learned from other projects and Clients’ feedbacks.
• Implement improvement measures and share good practice as applicable.
• On a day-to-day basis, be aware of delivery commitments made by each of the project disciplines, the issues which could adversely impact delivery, and take appropriate action to address delivery issues as necessary.
• Ensure that the Project Manager and delivery team are kept informed on delivery progress.
• Technically support Business Development opportunities across the UK.
• Manage interfaces throughout the programme at tactical and programme levels.
• Ensure Engineering and H&S requirements are applied to project delivery throughout the life cycle of the project.
• Supporting assumptions and requirements development.
• Authorship and maintenance of engineering management plans.
• Responsible for the co-ordinated technical delivery, reporting and associated governance of the projects, Actively listen across all disciplines, both engineering and technical, to make balanced decisions through reasoning and open discussion.
• Help to maintain a highly motivated team with specific attention to safety and well-being.
This role provides a fantastic career opportunity, whilst developing your potential, skills and experience under the guidance and mentorship of our industry-recognised senior team.
The Engineering Management Team is distributed nationally, supporting our clients globally. We are a progressive and flexible team and offer the opportunity to work from home, business needs permitting. Travel may be required to project and client offices with occasional overnight stays or longer-term secondments. This may include opportunities for working overseas.
#UKTransportation #UKHighways #UKEngineeringManagers
Here’s What You’ll Need:
You will preferably have a Bachelors or Masters Degree (or equivalent Degree) with proven engineering management experience gained across a range of infrastructure projects in a multi-disciplinary environment. It is desirable to be a member of a relevant professional institution with a sound understanding of engineering management principles and application in a highways environment. You will have the ability to:
• Lead and guide others in implementation of Highway and relevant standards.
• Undertake Engineering Manager role on highways projects.
• Experience in the delivery of multi-disciplinary projects where engineering and technical disciplines all had an equal part to play.
• Apply relevant assurance processes when working on highway design projects.
• Understand the highway operational environment and constraints to find solutions to operational constraints.
• Apply engineering principles to develop innovative, robust and safe design.
• Take account of the priorities of projects, effectively plan, monitor and control the technical delivery of projects to clients.
• Proven ability to engage with, influence, and manage communications at an operational level with the project team and both internal and external stakeholders.
• Understand the factors affecting motivation of project team members.
• Excellent organisation skills and an ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2) .
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.