Jacobs Highways Site Design Lead - A30 in Bristol, United Kingdom
Thriving communities. Healthy cities. A brighter future. We work every day to make the world better. Jacobs will invest in you, your success, and the global community.
Jacobs has an enviable reputation in the UK Transportation consultancy sector due to our market leading portfolio of high profile major projects with international, national and local clients that include: National Highways, Transport Scotland, Network Rail, the Welsh Government and National Contractors. We work for many of the councils and transport authorities running the UK’s largest cities including London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin, Leeds, Manchester and have long standing client relationships and ambitious growth plans.
We are seeking a Highways Assistant Designers Site Representative (DSR) to support delivery of the A30 project in Corwall. As Assistant DSR you will be responsible for:
• Explain the design to the construction team where any aspect is not clear or requires interpretation.
• Augmenting the design (where details or specifications are not clear) and/or expediating design though local decisions with reference/approval back to the Project Delivery Lead.
• Altering / adapting the design with reference/approval back to the Project Delivery Lead for:
o variation of details found on site
o errors other situations
o Manage any clashed within new infrastructure
• Raising Technical Queries (TQ) / Requests for Information (RFI) and tracking them to conclusion.
• Answering TQs and/or managing the answering of TQs back to the design team.
• Approval of MAR (Materials approval requests) by contractor or Sub contractors.
• Manage the TQ and MAR registers, assisting the Lead DSR.
• Monitor and report against the design programme to inform the overall construction programme.
• Assist with the interface, coordination and reviewing of supplier submitted designs and information.
• Reviewing proposed temporary works with respect the consequence for the interface with the permanent works design, including liaising between the temporary works designer and the design team as necessary.
• Reviewing the interface and accounting for aspects of supplier equipment and designs.
• Assist the IVQ (Inspection, Verification, Quality) team with technical assistance as and when required
• Provide the Design team lead with technical assistance in checking up coming phasing to alleviate clashes within various new high features.
• Consideration of health & safety in all aspects of the role including design interfaces, augmenting the design, reviewing temporary works and overseeing construction activities.
At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Proven technical experience of delivering Major Highway, Local Road or other transportation projects.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
• Thorough understanding of commonly used design standards such as DMRB, and areas not covered by standards in your related area of expertise.
• Sound knowledge of H&S legislation and a passion for fostering wellbeing in your teams and projects.
• Ability to present to external stakeholders, including the client, in your area of expertise.
• Capable of managing a challenging workload subject to change at short notice and knowing when to escalate to senior management when scope changes have a material impact on the team, the solution, the programme or cost.
• Good IT Skills.
• Ability to work independently and effectively within a global multi-disciplinary team.
• Experience of undertaking client facing roles.
• Experience of construction / design supervision and or liaison.
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs. (https://careers.jacobs.com/life-at-jacobs/)
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here. (https://www.jacobs.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity?_ga=2.1062705.1096535124.1626879887-1704311048.1575562676)
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2) .
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know. (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2)