Jacobs Principal Nuclear Safety Case Engineer in Bristol, United Kingdom
At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay, free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships.
We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About the opportunity:
Jacobs is currently recruiting for a Principal Nuclear Safety Case Engineer to join our Energy, Security and Technology (ES&T) business. The Jacobs’ ES&T business supports clients across the Nuclear Lifecycle. Our customers who require a solution based approach to support their challenges and key projects include:
• Prospective licensees, reactor designers and vendors
• Nuclear site operators
• Industry bodies and regulators
• Research institutions
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised by our clients and our technical excellence and strong client relationships put us at the forefront of our industry, along with our proven expertise in managing large, complex projects in the UK and overseas. What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, colleagues, and clients, collaborating to achieve outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
In this role you will have the opportunity to work alongside a diverse group of team members to meet our evolving customer needs. You will also be supported to develop your skills and experience as well as offered opportunities to build a successful career and lead technical teams, taking responsibility for project delivery.
For anyone joining Jacobs as a Principal Nuclear Safety Case Engineer, the key responsibilities will be:
• Developing and maintaining Safety documentation in line with international best practice and regulatory expectations. This may include but is not limited to:
o Safety documentation preparation throughout the nuclear lifecycle.
o Safety studies and assessments e.g. FMEA, HAZID, ALARP.
o Internal and External Hazard assessments.
o Deterministic and Probabilistic Safety Assessments.
o Development of safety functional requirements.
o Independent review of safety documentation.
• Liaising with customers to develop relationships, understand their challenges and developing and presenting solutions.
• Representing the business in technical meetings with clients, regulators and other third parties.
• Supporting the development of contract proposals and tenders to address customers’ needs and demonstrate value.
• Maintaining the technical capability/knowledge of the community and mentoring junior team members
• Delivering work to agreed budgets and timescales to ensure customer satisfaction
• Continuing to develop technical knowledge and competence in field of expertise
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• An undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate scientific or engineering discipline.
• Technical knowledge of their discipline with an ability to make good engineering judgement whilst acknowledging limitations of knowledge.
• Understand Safety Assessment Principles and their role and application to modern standards safety case preparation.
• Knowledge and experience in the development of Safety Case documentation in the Nuclear Industry or another highly regulated industry.
• Ability to write clearly and present complex arguments in a well-structured manner.
• Demonstrable communication skills with stakeholders both internally and externally including the ability to lead discussions with customers to understand their challenges, develop and present solutions.
• Adaptable and able to work on a variety of projects, prioritising as appropriate.
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know. #ES&TJob