Jacobs Senior Geotechnical Engineer in Burnaby, British Columbia
Our Ground Engineering and Tunneling team provides technical support to a wide range of infrastructure projects throughout Canada and worldwide. As part of Jacobs’ strategic growth plans, we're looking for a senior geotechnical engineer who has the passion and drive to lead major geotechnical projects across a range of sectors from our Vancouver, BC office.
As a Senior Geotechnical Engineer in our Vancouver office, you’ll lead a variety of engineering work from the initial planning and design through implementation and construction phase, as well as perform conventional aspects of design engineering and analysis and carry out senior review of geotechnical design and analyses. You’ll also plan and conduct work requiring judgment in independent evaluation, selection, and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria. The Senior Geotechnical Engineer will also lead geotechnical projects/tasks from proposal level, to site investigation, design and construction supervision, as well as provide technical guidance to intermediate and junior engineers. You will also work closely with structural, water, and environmental disciplines in our Vancouver office.
In this position you’ll carry out a variety of soil mechanics analyses and design on a wide range of projects, including marine design, bridges, highways, levees, flood walls and flood gates, water/wastewater treatment plants and commercial and industrial facilities, ground improvement, shoring, retaining structures and foundation engineering design and produce proposals, technical memorandums, and reports.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Bachelor of Science degree in Civil /Geological Engineering (or related) and a Master of Science or Engineering (M.SC./M.Eng.) degree in Civil (Geotechnical) Engineering (preferred).
• Registered Professional Engineer in British Columbia or ability to become registered within one year of joining Jacobs.
• Minimum 20 years of all-round geotechnical engineering experience.
• Ability to progress schemes from inception to design completion.
• Advanced knowledge of geotechnical engineering, including:
• Site investigation, laboratory testing and instrumentation
• Deep and shallow foundation design
• Settlement calculations and selection of soil stiffness parameters
• Embankment design, slope stability and seepage analysis
• Design and analysis of earth retaining structures
• Seismic design requirements related to works in British Columbia and in particular the BC Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island
• Software applications in geotechnical engineering
• Construction monitoring and supervision
• The ability to produce accurate and well-presented reports is essential in this role; and,
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a large multi-disciplinary team.
Other desirable technical qualifications include:
• Experience working on geotechnical design projects in British Columbia, as well as other locations in western North America.
• Knowledge with geotechnical design software programs such as LPile, GRLWEAP, Slope/W, Seep/W, gINT, Slope, Settle3D, SHAKE, FLAC and Plaxis.