Jacobs Environmental Planner in Columbus, Ohio
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
When it comes to environmental consulting, we’re focused on the greatest challenges the planet faces, including energy transformation. We are looking for an Environmental Planning professional to support our business growth for clients in the Midwest US. By joining Jacobs, you’ll commit to supporting and engaging with the team as we work to build a company like no other. Support Environmental Planning and Permitting services and have a hand in transforming tomorrow.
Based out of Columbus, OH office as an Environmental Planner you’ll play a critical role in siting and permitting services for utility clients. In this position, you will serve as a key team member working with biologists/ecologists, engineers, project managers, and other project staff to assist clients with routing and siting electric transmission lines and substations. In addition, the Environmental Planner will manage or support the management of projects, coordinate regulatory filings, assist with land use and zoning entitlements, and have the opportunity to gain experience outside of electric transmission (e.g., renewable energy development, rail, and pipeline infrastructure).
Bring your enthusiasm for learning and desire to conserve our natural resources, and we’ll help you grow!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• BA/BS degree, preferably in Urban/Regional/City Planning, Political Science, Land Use Planning, Pre-Law, public policy, Engineering, or a related environmental field
• Strong understanding of transmission line siting
• Capable of leading and supporting the siting efforts for utility clients within the first month of the start date
• Experience siting projects in any of the following: Ohio, Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, Michigan, Oklahoma, and/or West Virginia
• Experience authoring siting studies, FERC resource reports, or NEPA analysis
• General knowledge of Ohio Power & Siting Board, North Carolina Public Utilities Commission, or Virginia State Corporation Commission Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity (CPCN) application process for electric transmission lines
• Experience preparing local land use entitlements including conditional/special use permits and re-zonings
• Working knowledge of ArcGIS and Google Earth KMZs to create simple manipulation of data files
• Excellent organization and communication skills and can work on multiple projects simultaneously, under deadline pressure
• Strong interpersonal skills to develop client relationships
• Affinity for consulting (i.e., team player, eager to learn and grow, self-starter, adaptable, service mentality).
Ideally, you’ll also have:
• Master’s degree in applicable field
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.