Jacobs Fire Protection Engineer in Corvallis, Oregon
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
At Jacobs, we’re not just building structures, we’re helping our clients innovate and grow by designing, engineering, and executing the construction of their state-of-the-art facilities that are changing our world. We push the limits of what’s possible to make the world smarter, more connected, and more sustainable.
We are looking for a passionate and dedicated Fire Protection Engineer to join our Corvallis, Oregon office. Join us and you’ll have the chance to work on Mission Critical, Healthcare, Federal, Electric Vehicle and Industrial projects where you will play a role in the entire design process including, but not limited to, preliminary assessments, concept creation, design, problem resolution, drawing and specification production. Come be a part of a vibrant, dynamic team that delivers world class designs for well-known clients around the world, while living in a small community with a family atmosphere.
As a Fire Protection Engineer working with our Built Environments team, you’ll use your skills and experience to help deliver and complete challenging and engaging buildings projects. You’ll assist in the design of Water Spray/Sprinkler systems, Fire Pump/Water Storage Tanks, Fire & Gas Detection systems, and Fire Alarm/Mass Notification systems while also helping develop the plans for the overall building safety. As well as act as a consultant in the establishment of design standards and criteria for construction projects.
We’ll ask you to:
• Manage design of projects throughout the project, from programming to post-occupancy.
• Review proposal documents for accuracy and ability to meet Jacobs Client standards. Provide comments and/or recommendations as necessary.
• Review Architectural, Electrical, and Mechanical floor plans utilizing various NFPA and IBC Codes and Standards
• Possess and utilize knowledge and understanding of the Life Safety Code (NFPA 101), especially as it pertains to Means of Egress Systems and Components. Ensure all designs meet these standards.
• Review vendor shop drawings and equipment submittals for sprinkler systems and fire alarm systems for compliance with NFPA 13 and NFPA 72, respectively.
• Review sprinkler system hydraulic calculations, hydrant flow test data, and fire pump performance curves.
• Possess the knowledge and ability to suggest and equivalent level of protection when strict code compliance cannot be achieved.
• Inspect facilities and clearly identify deficiencies with respect to Means of Egress, Sprinkler Systems, Fire Alarm Systems, Emergency Lighting, Electrical Arrangements, Fire Rated Partitions, Storage Arrangements, etc.
• Ability to act as the Jacobs Client Subject Matter Expert (SME) with respect to Fire Protection and Life Safety at design meetings and on-site construction meetings.
• Attend Markey Surveys and make “on-the-spot” recommendations regarding acceptability of a building with respect to Life Safety code requirements for Exit Remoteness, Exit Capacity, and Discharge.
• Ability to test Fire and Life Safety Systems including, but not limited to, sprinklers, fire alarm, emergency lighting, and elevator recall during Substantial Completion Inspections. Make recommendations to the Jacobs Client Project Manager regarding whether the space can be accepted and occupied safely.
• Provide on-site field survey measurements and verification.
• Perform design reviews and submit comments in required format.
At Jacobs, we’re partnering across the globe to create the best project outcomes by maximizing the design, digital technology, and support capabilities of our Global Integrated Delivery (GID) teammates. By joining Jacobs, you’ll commit to supporting and engaging with these teams, as we work to build a company like no other.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Protection, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
• Demonstrated experience in ability to lead projects and manage resources
• Proficiency with AutoCAD or MicroStation, and Revit/Revit MEP
• Experience mentoring junior staff
• Experience with full project lifeline – conceptual design through services during construction
• Professional Engineering (PE) license
Ideally, you’ll also have:
• Master’s Degree in Fire Protection, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
• Design Management experience
• 7+ years of experience
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.