Jacobs Waste Management Consultant (Transport) in Didcot, United States
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
We wish to recruit enthusiastic scientists to work in our office at Harwell near Oxford in the Radioactive Waste Management Consultancy Team. The successful candidates will focus on the development and assessment of radioactive waste packaging and transport issues. They will also provide support to other projects in the areas of decommissioning and waste management. The post offers the opportunity to apply your skills to solving real world problems for our customers. The vacancy provides an excellent opportunity for those wishing to develop their careers in our technically and commercially challenging business.
Key Responsibilities include:
Work on a range of consultancy projects for customers including radioactive waste producers, radioactive waste management organisations and regulators, both in the UK and overseas. Work includes a wide variety of activities across the areas of radioactive waste management, spent fuels and nuclear materials including:
• Application of the regulations for the transport of radioactive waste, UK regulatory environment and good practice/guidance documentation.
• Undertaking technical work in one or more areas required to underpin the safe transport of wastes: thermal/fire, shielding, criticality and impact.
• Provision of support related to operational/assessment issues for radioactive waste containers/packages (including processes/procedures for waste handling)
• Interpretation of the disposability/acceptance criteria for wastes at various facilities including LLWR and a RWM’s WPS documentation and disposability assessment process.
• Analysing problems and developing solutions. Support to radioactive waste management organisations to assess disposability cases and/or support the development of radioactive waste management cases.
• High level strategic studies to support and underpin decision-making at different stages of the radioactive waste lifecycle.
• Production of high quality technical reports on the outcome of your work.
• Interactions with and presentation of results to customers.
• Supporting other team members with business development activities.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Numerate with good knowledge of MS Excel
• Good technical writing skills.
• Flexible, innovative and keen to develop skills.
• Adaptable, able to work on a number of varied projects at the same time, prioritising as appropriate.
• Able to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
• Enthusiasm to apply skills to the solution of real-world problems.
• Will need to be able to obtain appropriate security clearance.
• A degree in a physical science or engineering discipline OR equivalent training/experience.
• Expert knowledge of IAEA transport regulations (SSR-6) and their use in practice
• Understanding of the UK regulatory environment for licensing the transport of radioactive waste and waste handling on site, including for a proposed GDF
• In depth knowledge of RWM Waste Package Specifications and Disposability Assessment processes
• Practical experience of requirements led design processes, ideally for radioactive waste containers
• Familiarity with Technology Readiness Levels and their use in container design
• Understanding/experience of developing implementation plans and supporting cost-estimates.
• Understanding/experience of the design, licensing and transport of radioactive waste containers (including a structured requirements led process, technology readiness levels, implementation plans, cost-estimation, verification and validation plans and ultimately licensing submissions).
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here. #Jacobscmsjob
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.