Jacobs Associate Scientist II in Dugway, Utah
Challenging Today. Reinventing Tomorrow.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
At Jacobs, we challenge the status quo and redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, transforming big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow
Jacobs provides field, range, testing, chemical, and biological laboratory support to the U.S. Army at the West Desert Test Center (WDTC) located at Dugway Proving Ground (DPG), UT. As a major test site for the U.S. Army Test and Evaluation Command, the WDTC is responsible for the test and evaluation of chemical and biological (CB) defense systems, incendiary and smoke/obscuration munitions systems, and related operational concepts.
In addition to these responsibilities, we also support non-CB testing at the WDTC for the DOD and other Federal agencies, including environmental assessment/impact evaluation and munitions demilitarization.
Our Dugway Operation was established in 2004 with the award of the Field, Range, Chamber, and Laboratory Support Services (FRC&LSS) contract to Jacobs. Through the FRC&LSS contract, we have integrated with Mellor Engineering, TOPE, and JRAD with a composite staff size of more than 170 personnel.
Utilizing a professional knowledge of standard and specialized techniques and methods, designs, and executes specified projects in microbiology laboratory for biological defense or environmental programs/projects. Participates as a member of a team with responsibilities to execute assigned project objectives with minimal supervision.
Provides input to the production of test reports and maintains documentation of laboratory work. Must have demonstrated the ability to work independently to resolve technical problems. Must be competent in basic computer software (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Experience maintaining mechanical equipment or analytical instruments
• Experienced with PCR and protein assays or other biological assays
• Experience with general microbiology including plating, fermentation, aseptic technique, and identification techniques
• Data collection and analysis
• Aerosol particle generation and handling experience preferred
• BSL-3 experience preferred
• Chamber or glovebox experience preferred.
• Able to work in PPE such as a Powered Air Purifying Respirator
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Required Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or related life science plus 2 years of laboratory/industry experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
Essential Functions for Position
(Must Add Job Specifics)
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Position may require filing, typing, and reading from a computer screen. Must have sufficient mobility, included but not limited to: bending, reaching, turning and kneeling to complete daily duties in a timely and efficient manner. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds. There is a possibility that due to parking availability and location of work, walking moderate to long distances may be required. The incumbent may be required to stand for extended periods while performing routine laboratory work.
- Generally, a microbiological laboratory environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task. An inside environment may be a cubicle (considerations: close quarters, low to moderate noise, bright or dim lighting). Outside work may include various environmental conditions including warm and cold climates. Needs to be able to work well with co-workers and all levels of management. Office is located on site in Government spaces at: Dugway Proving Ground, UT. Work environment will be typical of microbiological laboratory. Incumbent may be required to wear standard industrial respirators and/or M-40 Mask.
Equipment and Machines
Ability to operate office equipment such as a personal computer, printer, copy machine, telephone, fax machine and other equipment including desk supplies and other work-related tools as required. Standard Microbiological Laboratory equipment.
- Regular hours will be between Monday-Thursday 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Regular attendance of scheduled hours is extremely important, but not critical, except for deadlines and meetings. Punctuality and regular attendance are necessary to meet deadlines. Must exhibit flexibility of work hours to adjust to surge situations based on critical mission requirements
Other Essential Functions
Must always demonstrate professional behavior when dealing with customers, management, and co-workers.
Must have clear, concise, and accurate communications skills in English, both verbal and written.
Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk to employees or others.
Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner.
Independent personal transportation to office or work site is required.
Travel to and from customer’s locations and the test fields may be required to support projects.
This may involve airline travel.
When operating any vehicle for work purposes, must wear seat belt and in addition, no cellular devices are to be used when vehicle is in motion.
This position will require a valid driver license to operate a variety of vehicles.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .