Jacobs Mechanical Handling Consultant in Glasgow, United Kingdom
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of full-spectrum technical, professional and consultancy services for industrial, commercial and government organisations globally.
With more than 77,000 people globally, our teams collaborate, innovate and create. Our people are proud to have been behind some of the greatest consultancy and engineering feats over the past 70 years.
We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment for our people, and our partners, and we want you to be a part of our growing business.
Critical Mission Solutions International Government Solutions operating unit provide a diverse range of services including civil and structural engineering, mechanical and electrical building services, mechanical handling, systems engineering, nuclear safety case development, and project and programme management.
Our core infrastructure engineering business is provision of design and management services supporting nuclear and defence clients. This includes supporting the UK submarine fleet, designing key facilities at, for example, Faslane, Barrow-in-Furness, and Devonport, and providing design services for the Atomic Weapons Establishment. We support to both existing and new build nuclear power stations.
We are looking to recruit high calibre staff to support our technical delivery capability to meet opportunities in the nuclear and defence industries.
Mechanical handling consultant in the nuclear and defence industries. Responsibilities include:
• Mechanical handling discipline lead in large projects
• Technical quality and excellence of your work and the work of those supporting you
• Innovative and evolve how sensitive handling in done in the UK
• Technical and professional guidance of less experience engineers
• Communication with clients and other design team members
• Adherence and contribution to business and quality management systems operational and design safety, and developing good safety culture
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Degree in Mechanical Engineering discipline
• Experience of Mechanical Handling design for the Nuclear Industry
• Experience in mechanical handling codes and standards.
• Specialism in Safety Enhanced crane design to meet the regulations and standards of the nuclear industry
• Chartered Engineer
• Experience of identifying requirements for all types of lifting and handling equipment including cranes, hoists, shiplift hoists, runway beams & trolleys
• Experience of control and protection systems
• Familiarity with Lifting Equipment regulations for safe handling of equipment
• Experience of nuclear safety and justification requirements
• Familiarity with engineering software packages
• Producing tender specification for Safety Enhanced Crane design
• Supervision of contractors in detailed design phase of projects and in their production of safety case documents.
• Experience of Value Engineering (VE)/Optioneering Workshops
• Experience of HAZOP/HAZID Workshops
• Experience of ALARP Reviews
• Experience of Reliability Engineering techniques e.g. FMEA, FTA.
• Supervision of contractors in factory acceptance, site acceptance and commissioning mechanical handling equipment.
At Jacobs we have celebrated over 10 years of our culture of caring - ‘BeyondZero’. We see safety differently - we strive to go BeyondZero by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we promote STEM and WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) initiatives. When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity. To find out more about our networks, check out our website:
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.