Jacobs Senior Civil/Structural Engineer in Glasgow, United Kingdom
Critical Mission Solutions
Challenging Today. Reinventing Tomorrow.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
About the opportunity:
Defence and Security, Glasgow
We are looking to recruit high calibre staff to support our technical delivery capability to meet opportunities in the nuclear and defence industries.
In our Glasgow office, we require Civil and Structural Engineers at Senior Engineer level, preferably with experience of working in the nuclear/defence industries, but also those with relevant conventional design experience looking to work in a technically challenging environment.
If successful, you will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Primary Job Responsibilities
Working in Defence and Security in Glasgow, you will be involved in delivering structural designs and analysis/assessment studies in a multi-discipline environment. The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in seismic engineering, structural dynamics, finite element analysis and numerical modelling. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged.
Our projects involve designing and assessing complex structures to resist variable and dynamic effects from earthquakes, dropped loads and impacts, vibrating machinery, mechanical handling, explosions, extreme environmental loading and fire. This requires a fundamental understanding of engineering principles and the considered application of numerical analysis techniques, for example modelling ductile behaviour, ‘beyond design basis’ response, soil-structure-interaction, and non-linear buckling behaviour. Also required is an understanding of how structural performance contributes to the critical safety function of nuclear facilities.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Inter-discipline project planning, delivery and financial performance
• Technical quality and excellence of project deliverables
• Technical and professional guidance, support and development of more junior engineers and technicians
• Business development activities including preparation of proposals
• Developing good working relationships with clients and other company departments
• Adherence to business and quality management systems
• Operational and design safety, and developing good safety culture
• Recruitment and team development
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Broad experience in civil engineering design and construction
• Good all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards, and/or Eurocodes
• Good understanding of structural theory, with proven problem solving ability
• Good knowledge of health and safety legislation and good practice
• Good verbal and written communication, and report writing skills
• Proven ability to work as part of a team and mentor/guide more junior team members
• Good, accredited MEng degree in Civil Engineering or similar
• Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer
• Ability to manage projects and preparation of project deliverables, including managing quality, budget, programme and resources
• Ability in preparation of bids and proposals, developing good working relationships with clients
• Experience of structural dynamics, including designing for seismic, blast and impact load effects
• Experience of assessing soil-structure-interaction
• Experience of numerical analysis software
• Experience of fire engineering
• Nuclear industry experience and experience of safety case documentation
• Experience of 3D modelling and BIM
All staff are required to obtain SC level security clearance, and therefore must have been resident in the UK for the preceding 5 years.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.