Jacobs EC&I Engineer in Gloucester, United Kingdom
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
About the opportunity:
Jacobs is currently recruiting for an EC&I Engineer to join our nuclear power business. The Jacobs’ nuclear power business supports clients across the energy generation and new build sectors. Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised by our clients and our technical excellence and strong client relationships put us at the forefront of our industry, along with our proven expertise in managing large, complex projects in the UK and overseas. What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, colleagues, and clients, collaborating to achieve outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
This role could be delivered from either our Knutsford, Gloucester or Newcastle office with the opportunity to travel to client sites, as required. Home / remote working is also available and considered appropriate as we continue to face the challenges of COVID 19. Consideration can also be given in respect to part time & flexible working hours.
The post is for those with post graduate experience delivering EC&I activities preferably within the civil nuclear or other highly regulated industries. Consideration will be given to time served apprentices with specific experience with a background in Civil nuclear. Candidates will be familiar with the delivery of EC&I engineering activities such as authoring and verifying engineering plans, technical reports and specifications with an ability to understand and interpret engineering drawings and technical specifications.
Knowledge or awareness in any of the following areas is considered a distinct advantage: IEC SC45a suite of standards (and how to apply/comply with them), programmable electronic components, equipment assessment and qualification (hardware & software), nuclear safety cases, ageing and obsolescence management, system design, PLCs and system coding and testing.
The candidate must be highly motivated with the ability to work with limited supervision whilst delivering tasks to quality, schedule and budget. They will be confident in communicating at all levels and proactive in engaging with colleagues and relevant stakeholders. In addition, the candidate should be proactive in personal development with a willingness to learn.
Subject to the candidate’s capabilities as well as business requirements, the focus of the EC&I Engineer role could be in any of the following key workstreams:
• Full life-cycle development (hardware and software) of either control or protection systems
• Software qualification of SMART devices and PLCs
• Functional Safety determination (both probabilistic and deterministic)
• EC&I Ageing and Obsolescence Management
• Systems Integration, test and validation of control, PLC, SCADA and simulator systems
• Production and modification of nuclear EC&I safety cases and / or cyber security cases
• Execute the role in a safe and secure manner
• Deliver high-quality engineering tasks to time, quality, budget and client satisfaction
• Liaise with Senior and Principal Engineers when expertise or clarification is needed
• Proactive in personal development
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Degree in relevant engineering discipline (e.g. Electronic / Electrical Engineering) or successful completion of a relevant apprentice scheme in a nuclear context.
• Ability to work in the UK and eligible to gain BPSS and CTC vetting (minimum security clearance)
• Evidence of working towards application for either Chartered or Incorporated engineer status with a relevant professional body
• Experience of authoring engineering documentation such as engineering plans, technical reports and specifications
• The ability to understand and interpret engineering drawings and technical specifications
• Strong communication skills
• Familiarity with electrical systems, control systems and process instrumentation
• Awareness of Civil nuclear plant systems, structures and component and associated design and assessment guidelines (or relevant engineering principles from other highly regulated industries)
• Awareness of software-based control systems (e.g. PLCs, FPGAs, SMART Components, SCADA, HMIs, DCSs, DPSs)
• Awareness of relevant guidelines, standards and practices (e.g. IEC 61508, 61511, 61513, 61226, ONR SAPs / TAGS)
• Awareness of risk identification, quantification, management and of HSE requirements
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.