Jacobs Network Engineer- TS/SCI with Poly in Herndon, Virginia
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
• Will assist in the design and implementation of LAN/WANs using switch and router Technology.
• Performs hardware/software analysis to provide comparative data of performance characteristics and suitability within the existing systems environment.
• Prepare trade-off studies and evaluations for vendor equipment.
• Assists in generating network monitoring and performance reports for LAN/WAN utilization studies.
• Recommends network design changes/enhancements for improved systems availability and performance.
• The employee can make independent decisions that deal with the daily schedule and work to be accomplished. Issues requiring monetary approval have to go up the reporting chain. The prioritization of projects and the daily schedule of the Engineering team is determined by the manager. Only urgent or high profile projects may be directed down to the capacity team.
• The employee is not involved with personnel, or compensation decisions.
• The employee has full discretion and independent judgement as it relates to their project. As long as he remains within budget and scope the manager of the engineering team has full autonomy as it relates to the team and its resources. Outside of the project framework the employee does not have approving authority for major monetary decisions.
• With limited guidance, performs routine to moderately complex network upgrades. Reviews user requests for upgrades or additions to the network to assess impact on network performance and provides advice and guidance on the most practical technical approach to meeting user requirements. Plans upgrades to existing network configurations, using knowledge of the performance characteristics of the systems being upgraded and the specifications for network interfaces to insure effective integration and optimal network performance. Incumbents prepare technical proposals for presentation to the engineering review boards for upgrading existing technologies.
• With limited guidance, performs moderately complex O&M activities. Utilize network analysis tools to identify performance problems in the network. Incumbents follow troubleshooting procedures for restoring the network to optimal performance levels. They assist senior technical staff in preparing troubleshooting procedures for restoring the network to optimal performance levels.
• With limited guidance, performs moderately complex network designs using existing technology.
Essential Functions :
Most work will be done at a desk or computer. Typically employees sit comfortably to do their work, interspersed by brief periods of standing, walking, bending, carrying papers and books, and extensive periods requiring the use of computer terminals to accomplish work objectives.
General Office environment. The work environment is fast-paced and sometimes involves extreme deadline pressures. The nature of the work requires a high degree of teamwork and cooperation with other members of the staff as well as individuals across the Company and Customers.
Equipment & Machines:
General office equipment including PC/laptop, Fax, Copiers, Shredder, Printers, Telephone, and other miscellaneous office equipment.
Attendance is critical at all times. Must be able to work a 40-hour workweek, normally Monday through Friday. However, times and days may vary depending on business requirements. Needs to be available to work overtime during critical peaks and be available to meet last minute requests for overtime should the situation occur.
Other Essential Functions:
Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
Must be able to interface with individuals at all levels of the organization both verbally and in writing. Must be well-organized with the ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously. Must work well under pressure to meet deadline requirements. Must be willing to travel as needed. Must take and pass a drug test and background check as well as a motor vehicle records check. Must be a US citizen.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
TS/SCI with Poly
• Proficiency in the use of MS Office product suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, SharePoint)
• Prior experience with experience with Cat5, Cat6, Fiber, Network Switches, and patch panels, CCNA, CCNP
• Working knowledge of theory and practice underlying satellite and LAN/WAN network operations.
• Working knowledge of the CIO's policies and procedures relating to the design, upgrading, and operating and maintaining their network.
• Working knowledge of their Communications and Information Security policies and practices.
• Project planning and management skills, including scope of work, time estimation, and resource assignment.
• Strong analytical and conceptual skills; ability to create original concepts/theories for various projects.
• Strong interpersonal skills to resolve problems in a professional manner, lead working groups, negotiate and create consensus.
• Good interpersonal skills to resolve problems in a professional manner.
• Problem Solving — identifying problems and reviewing known implement solutions.
• Ability to utilize basic network analysis tools to resolve routine network performance problems.
• Ability to provide basic explanation of technical procedures and processes clearly and accurately to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to draft requirements documents, correspondence and procedures in accordance with policies.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience:
3 – 5 years progressive and relevant experience
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.