Jacobs Proposal/Technical Writer in Herndon, Virginia
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
We are looking for an experienced and collaborative Proposal/Technical Writer who reports directly to the Division Vice President of Proposal Operations. The Proposal Writer is responsible for translating technical and management approaches, win strategies, and themes into high-quality responses to federal business opportunities. The selected candidate will have the skills required to own and develop compliant and compelling proposal volumes. The responsibilities of this role include presenting technical and management solutions to internal and external executive level stakeholders, in a persuasive and convincing way. To be successful, the candidate will have a firm understanding of Jacobs’ core capabilities, possess strong writing skills, be able to interview SMEs to gather information to respond to Government requirements, and work well in a dynamic environment.
This role keeps Jacobs connected and is supported with the tools to be successful. With curiosity, talent for multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment, and extreme organizational skills, we provide the tools to support the growth, practice, and fulfillment for career success – so we can make big impacts on the world, together
Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities
Here’s what you will be doing:
• Analyze and decompose Requests for Proposals (RFPs), Requests for Information (RFIs), Task Orders, and Sources Sought notices to understand the customers’ technical requirements.
• Collaborate with Proposal Managers, Proposal Coordinators, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), etc., to develop innovative technical approaches, sound technical solutions, incorporate win themes, and articulate discriminators.
• Serve as the technical / management volume lead (book boss) by developing or integrating content from multiple sources; coordinating with the Proposal Manager(s) and other assigned proposal resources; identifying and communicating risks associated with the opportunity and/or response.
• Conduct or support proposal reviews with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ensure absolute compliance with solicitation requirements and criteria for evaluation.
• Maintain quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone.
• Office environment. Some travel (10%) may be required.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• High school diploma and ten (10) years of experience, or Bachelor's degree and five (5) years of experience in a defined proposal-related role.
• Ability to obtain security clearance
• Five (5) years of proposal writing experience for Federal Government customers.
• Ability to breakdown the proposal requirements, successfully integrate win themes and discriminators.
• Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently as well as within a team to develop compelling technical proposal materials.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Ability to clearly articulate technology concepts to technical as well as non-technical stakeholders.
• Ability to interview and work with SMEs to acquire knowledge of subject matter.
• Ability to develop graphic concepts to illustrate and clarify subject matter.
• Ability to leverage existing content, tailor to meet proposal requirements, and produce high-quality proposal in accordance with tight deadlines.
• Proven written and oral communication abilities.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Editing skills; excellent knowledge of grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation.
• Experience developing and delivering training on proposal processes and procedures.
• Ability to work effectively in a rapidly-evolving environment.
• Experience with MS Office products such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.
Most work will be done at a desk or computer.
General Office environment. The work environment is fast-paced and sometimes involves extreme deadline pressures. The nature of the work requires a high degree of teamwork and cooperation with other members of the staff as well as individuals across the Company and Customers.
Equipment & Machines:
General office equipment including PC/laptop, Fax, Copiers, Shredder, Printers, Telephone, and other miscellaneous office equipment.
Attendance is critical at all times. Must be able to work a 40-hour workweek, normally Monday through Friday. However, times and days may vary depending on business requirements. Needs to be available to work overtime during critical peaks and be available to meet last minute requests for overtime should the situation occur.
Other Essential Functions:
Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
Must be able to interface with individuals at all levels of the organization both verbally and in writing. Must be well-organized with the ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously. Must work well under pressure to meet deadline requirements. Must be willing to travel as needed. Must take and pass a drug test and background check as well as a motor vehicle records check. Must be a US citizen.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language. (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf)
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.