Jacobs Software Engineer - Professional in Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Challenging Today. Reinventing Tomorrow.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
At Jacobs, we challenge the status quo and redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, transforming big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
We are launching people to the Moon and Mars. If you want to be part of this amazing mission and enjoy working in a great team environment, we would love to have you as part of our team that is making history, today. It takes big ideas and determination to take NASA's vision and make it reality. That's what we do every day.
The COMET contract provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing, and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support Exploration Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle, and fulfill a specific need in supporting the Launch Control Systems team including but not limited to Software Engineering and Software Programming.
This position is considered a mid-level and will work under the guidance and direction of an experienced employee in a specific discipline/area.
The Operating System (OS) Engineering position contributes to the development of a large-scale Command & Control system needed for processing the SLS/Orion spacecraft as well as interfacing with the avionics stack onboard the launch/crew vehicles themselves. The OS Engineer position provides packaging and testing of operating system changes as part of the Launch Control System (LCS) for the Spaceport Command and Control System (SCCS) project.
Specific areas of responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Review user requirements and needs for new software and perform analysis, design, implementation, installation, and documentation related to new software developed and/or acquired
· Follow documented operating system content generation and performs tests
· Perform system administration tasks on Redhat 8 systems
· Attend meetings and possibly make presentation on matters pertaining to supported applications
· Maintain/create shell scripts to support operating system configuration
· Troubleshoot and identify operating system errors, coordinating resolution with software developer
· Utilize CMMI compliant processes to develop, modify, and maintain software source code and applications
· Monitor the operation of assigned applications and respond to problems by diagnosing and correcting errors in logic and coding
· Assist with real-time troubleshooting, anomaly resolution, and system recovery as necessary
· Perform other duties as assigned
Access to Kennedy Space Center Amenities
While doing your part to help further space exploration at Kennedy Space Center, you can enjoy many on-site amenities, such as:
· Child Development Center
· Discounted tickets to local attractions and theme parks
· Credit Union
· Fitness Center
· NASA Exchanges
Flexible Schedule and Telework
At Jacobs, we value your time and commitment. Here at Kennedy Space Center, Jacobs offers partial telework options and flexible work schedules for many of our positions. The ability to utilize a flex schedule or telework will depend on your department’s demands and needs.
Here’s what you’ll need :
Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in engineering or technical equivalent from an accredited institution, and at least four (4) years of relevant experience required.
Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
· Required knowledge of software design, development, and/or testing
· Required experience with Linux and/or AIX environments
· Required knowledge of shell scripting and command line system administration on Redhat 8 systems
· Experience with C/C and Java desired
· Experience with CentOS and Ubuntu desired
· Ability to analyze information and problem solving
· Experience with Software Development Fundamentals and Software Development Processes
· Ability to interpret written information and effectively communicate verbally and in writing
· Technical documentation skills
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Ability to break down complex concepts and data and make them accessible to others
· Ability to produce consistent positive results with minimal direction and supervision
· Ability to prioritize and execute in a fast-paced environment with varying requirements and deadlines
· Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
· Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, if necessary
· If offered a position, proof of U.S. Citizenship or Legal Permanent Resident/Green Card holder of the United States is required
· Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, if necessary
· Will be required to climb stairs to access equipment for trouble shooting.
· Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection, and other associated personal protective equipment.
· Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
· Physical requirements are sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
· Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
· Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
· Position may require individual to travel daily to different areas on site.
· Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand, is required to access various locations on the facility.
· Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
· All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and company safety standards.
Equipment and Machines
· Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
· Variety of equipment used in testing.
· Full-time work hours.
· Position may require occasional overtime, including weekend work, depending on task.
· Must be dependable and punctual.
· Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
· Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
· Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
· Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
· Must comply with all “drug free workplace” requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
· Government security clearance may be required in the future.
· Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.