Jacobs Head of Capability, Rail Technology Solutions in London, United Kingdom
Join a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow, and succeed – challenging today and reinventing tomorrow.
Our People & Places Solutions (P&PS) business reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomises the "why" of what we do to create a more connected, sustainable world.
To realise the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society – from facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water, to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Our Transportation business within P&PS Europe currently comprises 1,750+ staff spread across 25+ offices, delivering more connected, sustainable solutions for our UK, European and international clients across the Local Government, Aviation, Highways and Rail markets.
The purpose of the role
We implemented the Solution Group organisational model within Transportation in 2020. We have been reflecting on both the tremendous successes of this transformation and evaluating how we could organise ourselves more smartly to align with the Markets.
The Head of Capability for Rail Technology reports to the Technology Solutions Group Lead (SGL). This is a key role in the Transportation business whose purpose is to continuously improve delivery excellence. You are one of the nominated technical delivery representatives for that capability. The role is responsible for supporting project delivery, transformation, growth of the capability and development of our people in P&PS Europe and in our global delivery centres (GDC). This Head of Capability has specific responsibility for delivery of projects involving Rail technology.
This role description applies to all our Capabilities to bring consistency and standardisation in accountability and responsibility. The Head of Capability for Highways & Aviation Technology will work collaboratively with the other capability heads, the Heads of Discipline for the capability and inside our projects with the Technical Solutions Managers (TSMs), Information Managers (IMs) and Project Managers (PMs) to deliver interdisciplinary technical excellence and innovation. The role is accountable for ensuring project delivery excellence to agreed budgets and programmes for our market customers ensuring that all practitioners and project Discipline Leads proactively work in this manner inside of projects.
You will also be required to work collaboratively with all project support functions, including Commercial Delivery, Systems and Cost, Beyond Excellence, Performance Management and Project Delivery Advisory. Interaction with these capabilities is paramount in the project delivery space, as this ensures that we deliver quality solutions that are contractually sound, to an agreed programme and delivered in a cost-effective way to meet the market customer needs.
Accountabilities of the role
• BeyondZero: Demonstrate clear leadership on BeyondZero, embedding a culture of safety, health, and wellbeing in the capability; where our people feel safe, secure, belonging, respected, valued, and empowered to take decisions that reflect BeyondZero and our culture of caring.
• PlanBeyond: Demonstrate clear leadership on PlanBeyond, embedding a culture of thinking and doing that embodies the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, our company mission to deliver a more connected sustainable world, and embraces decarbonisation in technical delivery to our Market customers. Relentlessly champion and realise Value Plus through your capability.
• Delivery: Working with the Project Solutions Group you will assign, and then proactively support your capability Professional Heads working within the Highways and Aviation Markets in the delivery of a quality solution with accurate budgeting and forecasting to completion with the project management team. This is an essential accountability of the role requiring strategic stakeholder engagement skills. The challenge of providing effective and efficient interdisciplinary minded technical capability (short, medium, and long-term) to support our markets and clients must not be underestimated for the role; this requires a continuous collaborative effort across the parties named above and smart use of our tools and resources. You will work collaboratively with the nominated Highways & Aviation Technology Head of Discipline and support them in their role to deliver technical leadership, excellence, innovation, consistency and capability training and development.
• Capability management and development: An integrated approach to capability management and development that explicitly includes the GDCs is essential, and you will lead on this. This will focus on integrated resource management to inform project delivery and resource requirements, agreeing priorities with the markets, and linking this back to talent acquisition, talent retention, technical upskilling and ongoing transformation of your Capability. This will require seamless collaboration with the Capability Head of Discipline & Professional Heads of each Engineering discipline.
• BeyondIf (Capability Transformation): Provide clear leadership on ensuring the four pillars of Delivery 4.0 are systematically and consistently embedded within the capability. Work collaboratively and proactively within your capability with the Delivery 4.0 and Transformation teams to create a culture of innovation. You will establish optimal workflows for efficient delivery whilst also continuously considering the future capability needs so that skills remain relevant to the changing markets that we face. Further, you will relentlessly champion and realise Value Plus through your capability.
• Talent Development: Work with the SGL, Capability Head of Discipline and Professional Heads to ensure appropriate and proactive line management of talent within the Capability, ensuring an inclusive and agile workplace. Identify and leverage employees’ individual and collective strengths and career development aspirations to drive a high-performance culture. Own the succession plan for the capability to ensure our talent have clarity of career progression, and to ensure the link to mentoring and coaching plans are known, understood and embedded in e3 priorities.
• Inclusion: Drive a step change in inclusion, influencing and creating an environment that recognises the diverse talents of our people, where diverse employees want to join, where they feel they belong, and where they will thrive. You will be authentic, thoughtful, collaborative, and inclusive in your approach to leadership. Your style of leadership will help contribute to the 404020 target, and to a more engaged, committed, and talented team of people to drive delivery excellence.
• BeyondExcellence: You are accountable for the development of your capability and its performance on projects and portfolios across the markets. Work with the Head of BeyondExcellence on the active promotion and implementation of solutions that align with our emerging objectives on quality, carbon, biodiversity, and social value.
Working for Jacobs
At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. Working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• An experienced people leader who can drive vision and purpose
• Inclusive and diverse with a global mindset
• Relationship management and engagement skills that cultivate trust
• Good interpersonal and communication skills and an active listener
• Be curious and have a passion for innovation and delivery excellence
• Strategic mindset with an end user focus
• Understanding of the Highways & Aviation markets within the Transportation Operating Unit.
• Track record in being a technical lead or project lead on projects
• Passion for developing and implementing project delivery innovation
• Organisational skill to implement initiatives and process improvements across Transportation projects.
The closing date for applications to this role is Friday 5th August 2022
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs. (https://careers.jacobs.com/life-at-jacobs/)
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here. (https://www.jacobs.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity?_ga=2.1062705.1096535124.1626879887-1704311048.1575562676)
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2) .
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know. (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2)