Jacobs Design Manager / Senior Airport Planner in Los Angeles, California
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
At Jacobs, we don’t settle – always looking beyond to raise the bar and deliver with excellence. We apply our expertise and knowledge as we look into the future with great optimism and focus. We don’t settle until we give our best and know that we’re making a difference. As a Design Manager / Senior Airport Planner you’ll leverage your people management skills to help your team members discover what drives them, nurturing their purpose and guiding them forward.
We'll ask you to:
• Manage a Team of team of architects, engineers, and other professionals (City Staff and Consultants) to guide the design, permitting, and construction-procurement of various airport capital improvement projects at LAX
• Coordinate with internal & external stakeholders to align the project design documents with the project objectives and stakeholder expectations
• Develop and present design-alternatives and comparative analysis to address requests and/or concerns from LAWA leadership and/or project stakeholders throughout the design process
• Review design submittals for completeness, accuracy, and conformance to the applicable project requirements, and provide critical & constrictive feedback to the design team. This may include reviewing & commenting on conformance to applicable codes & regulations, industry standards, and unique owner performance requirements.
• Solicit feedback from internal and external project stakeholders, and guide design teams through competing interests and projects constraints to ensure the best possible design-outcomes with respect to quality, cost, schedule, sustainability, resiliency, innovation, use-experience, constructability, operational flexibility, maintainability, etc.
• Manage design efforts throughout all stages of a project (Project Definition, Concept Design, Schematic Design, Design Development, Construction Documents, Construction Administration) to ensure that projects remain on schedule and on budget.
• Facilitate smooth transitions as projects advance from planning through design, procurement, construction, and activation.
• Manage design efforts across multiple projects to ensure a cohesive architectural statement throughout the LAX campus, including urban design, massing, landscape design, interior design, materials, image, design expression and visual compatibility with the surrounding environment.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
The ideal candidate would have the following credentials & experience:
• 10+ years of experience in managing the design of large, complex projects
• 10+ years of experience in design and/or operations of airports and/or transportation facilities
• Knowledge of local building codes & permitting requirements from LADBS, LAFD, LADOT, etc.
• Knowledge of current aviation industry regulations and standards, including codes & publications from FAA, CBP, TSA, IATA, ACI, ACRP, AAAE, etc.
• Knowledge of airport infrastructure, including MEP, IT, FLS, BHS, etc.
• Experience with the public sector, fostering teamwork and collaboration, and coordinating stakeholder interests.
• Effective, team-oriented communication and leadership style
• Willing to take ownership for success/failure of area of responsibility
• Self-starter, comfortable with taking initiative
• Demonstrated abilities in managing a multi-disciplined team
• Demonstrated abilities in developing cooperative working relationships among organizations with competing interests
• Excellent written and oral skills including ability to communicate complex issues to a non-technical audience
• Demonstrated ability to manage others cooperatively and to help develop/improve their skills.
• Ability to take on additional tasks as the project requires
• Bachelors or Masters Degree in Architecture, Engineering, and/or related field
• May assume other duties as required/needed
• Maybe required to work past regular work shift
• Maybe required to work various shifts as needed
• Professionally Licensed Architect and/or Engineer
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.