Jacobs Senior Quantity Surveyor, Transportation in Manchester, United Kingdom
Jacobs Transportation has an enviable reputation in Highways, Rail and Aviation. The Highways UK infrastructure consultancy sector includes a portfolio of high-profile projects with clients that include National Highways (NH), Transport Scotland, Welsh Government, national and regional contractors and several significant Local Authorities.
Our Rail team provides a comprehensive passenger and freight consultancy and engineering services to the rail sector, covering the full spectrum of railway infrastructure requirements, from business case and project development, preliminary appraisal and feasibility studies through to detailed design, implementation and operational management advice.
Our internationally respected Aviation team are active at all major UK airports, including Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester, with a growing portfolio of overseas commissions.
We are seeking the appointment of a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join our team, who have proven commercial delivery experience gained across a range of projects in a multi-disciplinary environment. With a sound understanding of commercial management, contract principles and application
About the opportunity:
To perform the required commercial functions in support of the Commercial and Project Management Teams. Lead with the management of any project commercial issues on a day-to-day basis liaising with project managers, project controllers, planners and technical leads. Producing the day-to-day commercial paperwork in support of the project.
Role and Responsibilities
Health, Safety and Environmental
• Be fully conversant with the requirements of Jacobs processes and procedures and the relationship with the commercial team duties.
• Raise any areas of Non-Compliance with Contract requirements or Jacobs processes and procedures to the Commercial Manager.
• Ensure comprehensive commercial records are maintained for audit purposes.
• Prepare and submit early warning notices, calculation and submission of quotations to Clients, and agreement of all project Compensation Events in line with Contract timescales and as required.
• Ongoing and timely completion of project Early Warning / Compensation Register.
• Review and respond to any contractual issues on project as required.
• Completion of project Final Account reports within the contract requirement timescales and timely final accounting of project in Jacobs systems.
• Ensure that estimate information periodically required by the client, confirming predicted value and comparison to project expenditure, is sufficient and is submitted in the agreed format.
• Assist the Project Management team with maintaining comprehensive project target price records for audit.
• Working to the direction of the Commercial Manager to successfully deliver projects and provide commercial support in the function of other teams across the Jacobs business.
• Identify and advise Project team on commercial risk and opportunity and identify as appropriate on project risk registers.
• Where appropriate provide support and advice to Quantity Surveyors.
• Liaise and maintain close and good lines of communication with other members of the commercial team and business, to meet requirements and objectives.
• Deputise for other Commercial Team members during periods of absence.
• Undertake other tasks and duties commensurate with the role and as directed by the Commercial Manager when there is a requirement by the business.
• Assist in the preparation of target prices for projects using contract schedule of rates at quotation and finalising prior to detailed design stage.
• Subcontract Procurement: assist the Procurement team in preparation of subcontract enquiries / invitation to tender documentation including compilation of contract documents. Obtain subcontract quotations and prepare tender comparisons. Update the client on supply chain additions and omissions as required.
• Subcontract Management: Monitor and verify subcontract expenditure including the administration of subcontract payments, implementation of subcontract change control including issuing Subcontractor Instructions and evaluation of subcontract compensation events.
• Reconcile subcontract accounts and negotiate / agree subcontract final accounts on a periodic basis.
• Work alongside Project Controls to ensure the cost of projects are fully captured and check accuracy of cost capture information within costing systems. Liaising with Project Teams to ensure correct Labour, Plant and Material records are maintained to ensure the above is achieved.
• Produce relevant information to ensure satisfactory completion of project Final Account reports, and any required Benchmarking for onward submission to clients.
• Will demonstrate commitment to Jacobs values by treating colleagues, customers (internal & external) and members of the general public, with fairness, respect & dignity at all times.
• Any other tasks or reasonable activities which are commensurate with the role and as directed.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Qualifications and Skills
Quantity Surveyor degree / qualification and good PQE with a good mix of commercial experience in relevant roles on major projects and preferably in addition advisory / consulting / assurance experience.
Knowledge of major projects from a delivery perspective by managing the commercial elements of construction / Engineering projects.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Strong written, communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to develop strong working relationships at all levels.
• Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
• Commercial awareness.
• Mobility / flexibility - whilst you would be based in one of the local related offices, our work requires mobility and flexibility.
Experience and Background
• Application and valuation experience beneficial.
• NEC Forms of Contract experience essential.
• Internal audit experience would be beneficial.
• Experience in infrastructure / construction assignments essential.
• Experience in contract compliance would be beneficial.
Grow your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, flourish, and succeed.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.