Jacobs Project Controls Manager in Moor Row, United Kingdom
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of full-spectrum technical, professional and consultancy services for industrial, commercial and government organisations globally.
With more than 77,000 people globally, our teams collaborate, innovate and create. Our people are proud to have been behind some of the greatest consultancy and engineering feats over the past 70 years.
We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment for our people, and our partners, and we want you to be a part of our growing business.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts.
Business Unit Description:
UK Field Services has over 50 years’ experience working in the construction industry. Our core business is the delivery of projects and programmes in partnership with our clients. We have a wide and diverse pool of experienced resources using proven delivery systems and processes that are benchmarked as best in class.
We have a significant portfolio of work run out of our office in Whitehaven and we need a Senior Cost Engineer to support Operations and provide line management to a small team of professionals.
The successful candidates will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent discipline specific opportunities, wider career prospects and scope for potential international roles.
Reporting to the Field Solutions Project Controls Manager the role is to provide management of cost, planning and risk resources within the Cumbrian portfolio, on complex and/or large proposals and projects.
The successful candidate’s remit would both sales and delivery phases of projects. The role provides governance to the sales process ensuring that the project estimates are commensurate with the proposed delivery strategy. It has oversight across the portfolio in relation project controls and project performance through to project completion.
Outline Project Controls Manager Accountabilities -
Typically work on large sized/high complexity projects/work packages looking after all aspects of cost & schedule control
Sales / Pricing
• Perform margin and pricing analysis in order to support sales pursuits and Identify opportunities to optimize profitability.
• Prepare for and participate in presentations and meetings relating to the pricing proposal
• Liaise with the finance team to ensure correct recognition of revenue
• Interface with Project Services, Finance and Operations to maintain consistent Work Breakdown Structure and system interfaces.
• Assist in the validation of pricing proposals inputs from others for accuracy
• In relation to project or portfolio variances: Conduct full and detailed variance analysis and subsequent root cause analysis, followed by provision of narrative, recommendations & recovery planning in accordance with monthly reporting timescales.
• For project phase and lifecycle, provision of reliable & consistent Estimate at Completion, (EAC); Estimate to Completion (ETC), Expenditure (ACWP); Anticipated Final Cost, (AFC) including alignment of EAC to Budgeted Cost of Work Performed (BCWP)
• Establish the Project Cost Breakdown Structure (CBS) and lead on the preparation of cost studies utilising historical data. Developing benchmarking information to meet specific needs;
• Provide trended data to the Line of Business Director and/or Project Manager based on performance trends to date and emerging trends including making recommendations
• Tracking manpower productivity and analysing time booked to projects including resource usage vs. planned, resource constraints, etc. and make any relevant recommendations to the Project Manager;
• Preparation of project performance & cost reports in a timely manner.
• Drive continuous improvement and innovation initiatives both autonomously and in collaboration with others
• To act as the Project Controls lead in project reviews and audits and facilitate assessments of the Project Controls arrangements to ensure compliance is achieved with company procedures
• Develop Portfolio level project controls approaches to cost, planning and risk activities to link project and portfolio performance whilst leveraging portfolio value
• Support Business Unit Lead in business forecasting activities
• Provide a focal point for issue resolution relative to project controls activities
• Have experience of and the ability to lead risk management activities
• Have experience of and the ability to lead schedule management activities
• Provide mentoring and support to junior team members
• Provide line management accountability to the team
• Responsible for resource management of the Project Controls Team
• Responsible for providing information to the business to allow for wider resource planning
• Responsible for personal workload and ensuring all deadlines are met and for undertaking other duties as reasonably required from time to time by line and task management
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Qualifications & Experience:
• A good understanding of project controls, commercial, and estimating.
• Experience in leadership and management of teams.
• Significant experience of large multi-disciplinary projects, including implementation of lessons learned
• Project Management qualification
• Experience of working on complex projects which are geographically displaced.
• Positive attitude to health, safety, inclusion and diversity.
Key required attributes:
• Agile in the context of task management and delivery.
• Be able to work in a team environment or in isolation.
• A good understanding of business acumen and a track record of contribution to profitable growth.
• Ability to travel between offices.
• An excellent understanding and track record of forecasting and budgetary control.
• Degree or HND/HNC educated in appropriate business or technical discipline preferable
• A good understanding of standard forms of contract, particularly NEC.
• Experience of large multi-disciplinary EPC projects.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.