Jacobs Structural Engineer in Oakland, California
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
We share a common purpose – to make the world more connected and sustainable. And we’re excited about the innovative ways we can change the world. If you are also interested in turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good, then Jacobs is where you belong. We are looking for a passionate and dedicated Structural Engineer in Oakland, CA. As a junior engineer on our team, you will assist in the design facilities such as equipment stations, manufacturing plants, pedestrian platforms, structure support systems, and construction drawing and specification production.
As a Junior Structural Engineer, you will generally perform the following tasks:
• Support the development of structural construction drawings and specifications
• Review shop drawings and equipment submittals for conformance with construction documents
• Technical writing including design reports, etc.
• Construction support services
Your first assignment will specifically involve the following tasks:
• Review permits against structural drawings and calculations.
o Identify any discrepancy between calculations and drawings.
o Identify any missing information (possible RFI, revisions, missing sheets).
o Identify special inspection requirements.
o Identify related permit(s).
• Coordinate with construction team and provide support for permits with field discrepancy issues.
• Preform sites walk and develop detailed markups for any discrepancy between structural drawings and site condition. Identify issues and prepare potential solution(s).
• Preform site visits to document field conditions. Duration will vary from ½ mile to 4 miles per day.
• Coordinate with original EOR for possible RFIs or revisions and discuss options for drawing changes and approval.
• Provide support to special inspection consultants, support with code testing requirements, and review special inspection reports.
• Prepare structural drawings, details and calculations for equipment, walls, gantry, and platforms under supervision of senior licensed Engineer for review and stamping.
• Coordinate with other disciplines.
• Adhere to client culture and expectations for project delivery.
• Technical presentations and lead discussions with city of Fremont building officials.
At Jacobs, we’re partnering across the globe to create the best project outcomes by maximizing the design, digital technology, and support capabilities of our Global Integrated Delivery (GID) teammates. By joining Jacobs, you’ll commit to supporting and engaging with these teams, as we work to build a company like no other.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with a Structural emphasis
• Have 2 to 5 years of experience in designing plant, manufacturing, or pedestrian facility structures
• Experience working in a multi-discipline project teams
• Effective communication between team members
• Experience applying all major structural design codes: AISC 360, ASCE 7, and CBC 2019 (Chapter 17)
• Experience using engineering programs such as RAM ELEMENT, RISA 3D.
• Experience in use of REVIT/AutoCAD (update existing drawings/ start drawings for new project)
• Ability to self-start, work independently, quickly adapt and serve project team requests for architectural drawings, backgrounds, and design solutions while adhering to quick project turn around and aggressive project schedules.
• Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time.
Ideally, here’s what you’ll also have:
• Professional Engineer, (P.E.) license
• Master’s degree in structural engineering
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.