Jacobs Commercial Manager in Reading, United Kingdom
At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay, free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships.
We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About the Opportunity
UK Field Solutions fundamental business strategy is building long-term client relationships. With more than 60 years in the industry, we have attracted and retained clients by providing superior value – in fact over 90 per cent of our work is repeat business from loyal clients. This strategy yields cost advantages, profits and growth for us. This combination of a loyal client base and steady growth enables us to attract and retain the industry’s top talent.
Reporting directly to the relevant Field Solutions Business Director and operating as part of the Field Solutions Commercial team the job holder is accountable for the commercial leadership, management, organisation, systems, processes and capabilities to enable their business area to meet the growth strategy and contractual deliverables.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Key Responsibilities include:
• Demonstrate leadership commitment to safety and security, delivering financial and programme efficiency and performance
• Engage, motivate and perform within the delivery team
• Define, mitigate and manage commercial risk for the business area.
• Work effectively with others, (projects, functions, customers and key stakeholders), building required relationships and interfaces within the business, ensuring the delivery of value
• Encourage and drives agility throughout the team ensuring that the business can respond and adapt to changes and better ways of working across the business
• Deploy commercial leadership, policy and guidance across the business area portfolio supporting collaborative working, ensuring a cohesive approach that supports the achievement of business goals
• Identify and encourage continual improvement and innovation such that Field Solutions is recognised for developing and applying best practice
• Provide commercial guidance to the Field Solutions Business Director and relevant functions, programme and projects on specific issues
• Provide commercial stakeholder engagement opportunities with our customer and parent companies and maximises the benefits and opportunities of sharing best practice within the subject matter arena
• Ensure that functional metrics, procedures, processes and systems are developed, implemented, adhered to and of a quality that delivers against our programme requirements
• Influence contractual discussions and strategic sourcing decisions with the Field Solutions business unit
• Developing and implement strategies for engaging with the supply chain.
• Ensure best value decisions are made throughout commercial activities
• Ensure UK contracting, contract law and pricing principles are included in the tendering and bidding process.
• Working within the Supply Chain strategy administer large multi-discipline contracts with the supply chain including pre-contract engagement.
• Ensure general contract and pricing principles are included.
• Draft Business Agreements (for example, Alliance, Teaming, Collaboration, Confidentiality)
• Developing and implementing dispute avoidance strategies.
• Degree educated in Commercial management or other relevant qualification
• Membership of a relevant professional body, for example MCIPS, MRICS or MCIOB
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal are required along with good negotiation and analytical skills.
• Previous experience in a similar role
• Extensive working knowledge of the NEC, FIDIC forms of contract
• Comprehensive pre and post contract knowledge.
• Comprehensive experience and understanding of cost forecasting and reporting, cost control, cost risk management, contract documentation preparation and contract administration.
• Exceptional commercial awareness.
• Working knowledge of Cemar
• Understanding of planning methodology and tools e.g. Primavera
• Security Cleared
• Working knowledge of project controls software
• Highly organised with meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Hands on with a can-do attitude
• Excellent work ethic
• Ability to work autonomously
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know.