Jacobs Scientific Technologist/ Software Developer in Reston, Virginia
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Do you have a passion for science, software development and like to dabble in artificial intelligence and/or machine learning? Do you like to think outside the box? Can you write software in your sleep? Want to keep our nation safe? How about bleeding-edge technology? If so, then Jacobs has a great opportunity for you in our Innovative Air and Space Division (IASD) group. IASD is a rapidly growing business within the Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Sector of Jacobs that is leading the design and development of next generation satellite payloads and ground processing systems.
This division is a small subset (<100) of the company comprised of engineers of various disciplines organized into product development teams. The small company atmosphere provides the perfect opportunity to demonstrate your engineering skills on the most challenging problems while also expanding your abilities and advancing your career. We have the corporate investment, infrastructure, subject matter experts, and strategic focus to enable you to be successful.
Successful candidates will have a background in either Software Development/Engineering (C++ or Python), Electrical Engineering, or in Mathematics, and possess the following skills and abilities:
Duties to include:
• Conducts research in design, development, testing and utilization of electronic data processing software.
• Designs, develops, documents, tests and debugs applications software and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions.
• Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software.
• Determines computer user needs; analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems.
• Ensures software standards are met.
• Analyzes user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
• Confers with systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
• Designs, develops and modifies software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design.
• Coordinates software system installations and monitors equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Current TS/SCI clearance or able to be cleared to that level
• Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. in electrical engineering, computer engineering, physics, math, or a related discipline.
• At least five (5) years’ experience in software engineering
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills ranging from proposal writing to briefing executive level leadership.
• Technical Leadership experience to include hardware/software development lifecycle management (scheduling, estimation, and financial)
• Familiarity w/ cloud-based architecture
• Experience with AI/ML toolboxes like PyTorch, TensorFlow, and Pandas
• U.S. Citizenship REQUIRED
• Programming experience in C/C++/Python/Matlab
• Experience with Agile software development and methodologies
• Experience working in Agile software development teams.
• Basic skills in Microsoft Office software products
• Full understanding of the engineering design life cycle
Clearance Requirement: Current TS/SCI clearance or able to be cleared to that level
Clearance processing will be completed by the U.S. Government. Factors considered for a U.S. Government Security Clearance include but are not limited:
-U.S. Citizenship (Required)
-Favorable Criminal History Check
-Abuse/Illegal Drug Use
Location(s): Primary: Reston, VA
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.