Jacobs Electronics Packaging Manufacturing Engineer in Severn, Maryland
Critical Mission Solutions
Challenging Today. Reinventing Tomorrow.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
The Innovative Aerospace Division with Jacobs is looking for an enthusiastic, highly motivated, and hardworking individual that takes ownership of their work, thrives on the opportunity to take on challenges, and takes pride in their accomplishments.
Description: This is a challenging and rewarding position with a mission to support the development of air and space-based RF systems in our Innovative Aerospace Division of Jacobs. Specifically, to develop and support the design, manufacturing, and verification of various ruggedized electronics assemblies, enclosures, and chassis for production level airborne and/or space-based applications. A successful professional in this role as an electronics packaging manufacturing engineer: Collaborates closely with mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, RF engineers, and PCB designers on the system design to ensure manufacturability of various electronic systems and assemblies; Ensures quality for prototype and low volume manufacturing and production of systems; Manages product transition into the manufacturing organization; Takes ownership of related specialized manufacturing processes for high precision complex products and systems; Ensures the operation and evolution of the efficiency of the manufacturing processes; Interfaces with all of the project stakeholders to provide project planning information and status updates.
• Design ruggedized electronics assemblies, enclosures, and chassis for space systems, airborne systems, and/or military applications utilizing SOLIDWORKS
• Review electronics packaging designs as they progress through development, qualification, and production considering design for manufacturability, yield issues, and reliability
• Engage in hands-on building of the first production level ruggedized assembly
• Train production personnel to build future units; engage and mentor assemblers for support
• Prepare plans, process documentation, and work instructions, production aids and assembly fixtures; develop new and maintain or improve existing manufacturing processes with a focus on manufacturing improvement
• Evaluate engineering changes and determine appropriate labor or equipment standards to meet specification requirements.
• Provide production floor and assembly support in technical matters relating to assembly drawing interpretation, Engineering Change Notices, rework, manufacturing difficulties and specifications.
• Conceive, investigate, evaluate, and make recommendations for new equipment, tooling, and processes to improve safety, reliability, capacity and reduce costs
• Utilize data collection to identify and resolve problems, including driving cost and downtime reduction
• Participate in health, safety, environmental, production, material control, and R&D project teams
• Write periodic activity and project reports, develop action plans, and generate work instructions, test procedures and other documentation to support production operations
• Support generation of labor and material cost estimates for proposals
• Tailor processes based on customer requirements
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• ABILITY TO OBTAIN AND MAINTAIN A SECRET SECURITY CLEARANCE
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar degree with 5+ years of experience in mechanical packaging of electronics
• Product ruggedization experience; Proficient in discreet wiring and manufacturing assembly work
• Experience in packaging design, qualification, and integration of electronics systems for airborne and/or space satellite applications
• Familiarity with printed wiring board (PWB) fabrication and electronics assembly processes
• Experience with design for manufacturability
• Experience resolving qualification and production failures
• Experience performing mechanical analysis including structural, thermal, or vibration
• Ability to select appropriate materials for interfaces and interconnects in electronic packages such as die attach, die encapsulation material, thermal interface materials, solder types, connectors, and adhesive attachment for components
• Ability to compile and evaluate test and production data, prepare technical analysis, recommend manufacturing methods and processes required to meet design objectives on new or improved products and/or processes
• Monitor process yields and cost, recommending and implementing quality improvements based on metrics
• Ability to solve manufacturing problems related to materials, design, and equipment
• Effective time management and prioritization skills
• Excellent communication and documentation skills
• Basic skills in Microsoft Office software products
• Good problem-solving and debugging skills
• Current Secret or higher clearance
• MSME with concentration in Electronics Packaging Design, Electronics Process Development, or Structural/Thermal Analysis.
• IPC-610, IPC-620, NASA-STD-8739.1, J-STD-001 w/space addendum
• DFM, FMEA, Lean Manufacturing
• High reliability electronics packaging design experience
• CAD experience in SOLIDWORKS
• Surface Mount Technology (SMT) experience
• Machine shop experience
• Experience with composite fabrication
Standing, sitting for periods of time. Ability to lift 15 lbs without assistance.
General Office environment. The work environment is fast-paced and sometimes involves extreme deadline pressures. The nature of the work requires a high degree of teamwork and cooperation with other members of the staff as well as individuals across the Company and Customers.
Equipment & Machines:
General office equipment including PC/laptop, Fax, Copiers, Shredder, Printers, Telephone, and other miscellaneous office equipment, as well as lab test equipment.
Attendance is critical at all times. Must be able to work a 40-hour workweek, normally Monday through Friday. However, times and days may vary depending on business requirements. Needs to be available to work overtime during critical peaks and be available to meet last minute requests for overtime should the situation occur.
Other Essential Functions:
• Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
• Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
• Must be able to interface with individuals at all levels of the organization both verbally and in writing.
• Must be well-organized with the ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Must work well under pressure to meet deadline requirements.
• Must be willing to support local travel as needed. However, travel is typically less than two weeks total split across the year.
• Must take and pass a drug test and background check as well as a motor vehicle records check.
• Must be a US citizen.
Multiple Positions available- potential at different levels.
Clearance Requirement: None, Clearable to Secret level for future work needs
Clearance processing will be completed by the U.S. Government. Factors considered for a U.S. Government Security Clearance include but are not limited:
• U.S. Citizenship (Required)
• Favorable Criminal History Check
• Education Verification
• Abuse/Illegal Drug Use
• Credit Check
• Subject Interview
Location(s): Primary: Severn, MD
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.