Jacobs Senior Embedded Software Engineer in Severn, Maryland
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
We are TCG, a rapidly growing business within the Rapid Solutions Sector of Jacobs that is leading the design and development of next generation tracking and tactical communication systems.
If you are an innovative Software Engineer with embedded software experience who has a passion for learning new things and want to work with fellow creative minds to make your team’s best ideas become reality—then look no further!
We (TCG) have the corporate investment, infrastructure, subject matter experts, and strategic focus to enable you to be successful.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• U.S. Citizenship
• Must be willing and able to obtain a security clearance
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering
• 10+ years’ experience writing embedded software on microcontrollers such as ARM, MSP430, PIC, AVR, etc
• 10+ years’ experience programming C/C+ • 10+ years’ experience writing low level device drivers for microcontroller peripherals such as SPI, UART, I2C, ADC, DAC, USB etc.
• 10+ years’ experience writing Linux kernel code for real-time systems (including device drivers)
• Write high quality bare metal and Linux-based software for embedded processors like ARM and PowerPC
• Experience writing a board support package for embedded microcontrollers
• Experience with real-time operating systems
• Experience performing unit level testing
• Ability to read and understand schematics to enable firmware development
• Good understanding of tasks, threads, inter-process communications, and other typical embedded operating system concepts and debugging methodologies
• Follows best practices with respect to code documentation and revision control
• Good team player, excellent communications skills, good with documenting/organizing work
• Experience successfully delivering technology projects with tangible deliverables
• Experience leading, coordinating, and presenting at meetings.
• Broad understanding of current and future communication systems and technologies surrounding that area.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong skills in MS Office suite
• Ability to clearly communicate with customers to diagnose and resolve technical issues
• Practical understanding software development lifecycle.
• Experience in GPS, GSM, and/or Iridium
• Experience writing GUIs on Windows platforms
• Experience in C# or other high-level programming languages
• Experience with a formal release process
• Experience coding for low power
• Digital hardware design
• Digital communications
• Experience developing unit tests and test plans
• Experience developing platform agnostic applications
• Experience with tools and concepts supporting software version control systems
• Technical knowledge and technical writing ability for writing technical requirements, design documents, and deployment documentation
• Knowledge of Risk Management Framework (RMF)
Most work will be done at a desk or computer.
General Office environment. The work environment is fast-paced and sometimes involves extreme deadline pressures. The nature of the work requires a high degree of teamwork and cooperation with other members of the staff as well as individuals across the Company and Customers.
Equipment & Machines:
General office equipment including PC/laptop, Fax, Copiers, Shredder, Printers, Telephone, and other miscellaneous office equipment.
Attendance is critical at all times. Must be able to work a 40-hour workweek, normally Monday through Friday. However, times and days may vary depending on business requirements. Needs to be available to work overtime during critical peaks and be available to meet last minute requests for overtime should the situation occur.
Other Essential Functions:
Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
Must be able to interface with individuals at all levels of the organization both verbally and in writing.
Must be well-organized with the ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
Must work well under pressure to meet deadline requirements.
Must be willing to travel as needed.
Must take and pass a drug test and background check as well as a motor vehicle records check.
-Severn, Maryland – or – Tampa, Florida
Clearance Requirement: CLEARABLE
This position may require the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance. Clearance processing will be completed by the U.S. Government.
Factors considered for a U.S. Government Security Clearance include but are not limited to:
• U.S. Citizenship (Required)
• Favorable Criminal History Check
• Education Verification
• Abuse/ Illegal Drug Use
• Credit Check
• Subject Interview
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.