Jacobs Fire Safety Advisor in Somerset, United Kingdom
Critical Mission Solutions
Challenging Today. Reinventing Tomorrow.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay, free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships.
We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About the Opportunity
The Fire Safety Advisor is part of a team of specialist fire safety and compliance professionals reporting to the Fire Safety Manager.
The main purpose of the job is to provide advice and guidance on fire safety matters to the Principal Contractor (NNB GenCo) and to ensure fire safety standards are set and maintained across the HPC project.
The post holder will also support and promote the development of a positive Fire safety culture amongst a wide array of Contractors and stakeholders, support the development and implementation of fire safety systems and policies, performing audits and inspections, undertaking fire risk assessments, report on fire safety maters to relevant personnel and committees, supporting the on-site Fire & Rescue Team with the provision of risk information and support the continual improvement of Fire safety arrangements and systems on the construction site.
The Hinkley Point C Project is one of the largest infrastructure projects in Europe. During the construction phase over 5,600 people will work on the site. The project marks the rebirth of the UK's nuclear industry and will present invaluable opportunities for Somerset, the South West and wider UK. The Project requires the expertise and support of many contractor organisations to deliver the project safely, to the right quality, on schedule and within budget.
The Fire Safety Team manages Fire Safety for the HPC Construction Site and audits and assures Fire Safety standards are met and maintained throughout the project. The team work closely with the construction and delivery teams as well as the site contractors.
• To provide fire safety advice and guidance to the Principal Contractor, wider Contractor base and relevant committees to support the development of fire safety arrangements (both general and process related)
• Writing and publishing fire safety related guidance for the Construction Project and at its Associated Development Sites to meet legislative requirements and best practice
• To develop, maintain, and review the implementation of the Principal Contractors fire safety policy, fire management arrangements and fire risk assessments
• To provide Fire Safety advice to Project Managers and design teams, to develop building fire strategies
• To develop, support and coordinate Fire Safety arrangements amongst Contractors
• To support the investigation of fire related incidents on the Construction Site and at its Associated Development Sites
• To carry out fire safety audits and inspections in all parts of the Construction Project
• In conjunction with the Business Resilience Manager support liaison with external stakeholders including regulators and fire and safety organisations
• To act as an advisor to Health and Safety Groups on matters relating to general fire safety, process fire safety and in relation to explosive atmospheres, and to provide such reports as are required
• To maintain an up-to-date knowledge and understanding of matters relevant to the post (including best sector practices and regulations) by means of literature searches, contacts with professional bodies, attending relevant meetings, courses, and conferences
• To undertake other activities/responsibilities within their competence as directed by the line manager commensurate with the grade of the post
This position will be responsible for fire safety within an allocated area but will also be required to support the wider team and other generic areas of site. The role will be required to be self-motivated and autonomous, utilising their own initiative and knowledge to give dynamic advice and guidance on fire safety related matters.
This position will work closely with other members of the Fire Safety Team as well as the wider Emergency Preparedness & Response Teams to maintain adequate fire safety standards across the HPC project.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• Working knowledge of Nuclear Site Licence Conditions pertaining to fire safety management, knowledge of relevant legislation and regulation effecting a construction site
• A good level of knowledge of General Fire Safety arrangements for construction sites and complex sites, along with fire safety equipment, systems and Fire Safety Roles
• A good working knowledge/understanding of process fire risk in relation to construction and commissioning-based activities
• A working knowledge of fire safety implications in relation to DSEAR
• Good organisational skills with practical and methodical project planning and ability to manage several concurrent work fronts
• Self-motivated and able to manage their own work priorities and actions.
• Effective negotiating and influencing skills with the ability to develop and maintain constructive relationships with professional and managerial disciplines
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to assimilate, analyse and present complex problems, identify necessary action, make recommendations and ensure actions are implemented
• Understanding of the principles of risk assessment including dynamic risk assessment especially in a construction environment
Qualifications & Experience
• Proven track record of undertaking complex fire safety risk assessments, fire safety audits and the determination of regulatory compliance within the commercial and construction sectors
• Membership of an appropriate professional organisation (e.g. Institute of Fire Engineers)
• NEBOSH Fire Safety & Risk Management Certificate (or similar fire safety qualifications)
• Preferably Educated to degree/Diploma level or equivalent level / relevant experience
• Clear understanding of Fire Engineering principles and systems
• Experience of successfully developing and implementing fire safety plans, policies and procedures
• Understanding of the requirements of DESAR on the complex construction site
Note: this job description is not an exhaustive list of the responsibilities and activities that the job holder may be required to undertake.
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.