Jacobs Principle Safety Case Specialist in Somerset, United Kingdom
Description - External
At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay, free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships.
We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About the opportunity:
This role provides an exciting opportunity to support the substantiation of LWR reactors as a highly experienced nuclear safety case professional with substantial experience.
Primarily the role will be supporting Pre-Commissioning safety case production, before moving to the operational safety case, with the successful candidate having already a first level role in safety case production, including authoring the safety case documentation itself.
You will bring a sound understanding of the requirements for an extensive safety case, together with knowledge of one or more areas of nuclear reactor design.
Key Responsibilities will include:
Development of safety case route maps
Writing safety cases and or managing production of safety cases in line with Client Licence Condition 14 arrangements and Safety Case Manuals.
Compiling robust safety cases ie the totality of documented information and arguments which substantiates the safety of the plant, activity, operation or modification in question
Reviewing and verifying safety cases or analysis
Hazard identification and mitigation
Functional safety assessments
Development of Hazard and Fault Schedules
Assessment of needs for diversity and segregation
Review of technical reports
Undertaking assessment of design to bring out claims, arguments and evidence to determine why a plant is safe
Supporting Generic Design Assessment and Nuclear Site Licensing phases
Applying nuclear safety case knowledge, skills and experience to projects being carried out by Nuclear Power.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Here's What You'll Need:
• Degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Knowledge of the production and assessment of nuclear safety cases.
• It is essential that applicants are, or can be, Security Cleared and are a UK national
• Professional Institution accredited
• Chartered status, or working towards
• Substantial experience of developing or reviewing safety critical systems or operations. You will specialise in safety case, but may have a background in Instrumentation and Control and Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, or Radioactive Waste for example
• An ability to understand and deliberate on complex technical and safety arguments clearly and concisely, based upon mature knowledge and understanding
• Developed communication skills both written and oral
• Good interpersonal skills, to work as part of a team.
• A willingness to travel if need be for any associated project.
• A knowledge of an aspect of PWR plant and equipment
- Specific areas of safety case – Internal and or External Hazards Analysis, PSA. Human Factors, • Skills and technical experience in some of the following areas:- • Experience of relevant safety standards • Understanding of the UK regulatory framework and requirements. • Application of Relevant Good Practice
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs. (https://careers.jacobs.com/life-at-jacobs/)
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here. (https://www.jacobs.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity?_ga=2.1062705.1096535124.1626879887-1704311048.1575562676)
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2) .
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know. (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2)