Jacobs Bridge Engineer - Swindon in Swindon, United Kingdom
With more than 77,000 people globally, our teams collaborate, innovate and create. Our people are proud to have been behind some of the greatest consultancy and engineering feats over the past 70 years. We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment for our people, and our partners, and we want you to be a part of our growing business.
Jacobs has an enviable reputation in the UK consultancy sector as a result of a portfolio of high profile projects with clients that include the Highways Agency, Transport for Scotland, Welsh Government, Network Rail, local authorities, contractors and a variety of international clients.
Our Bridges team also work with developers in realising their bridge related projects, achieved through a fully integrated approach to project delivery; drawing on the services of all Jacobs skill groups from locations throughout the region.
We are a centre for excellence for bridge and structural design, in particular specialising in major crossings such as:
• Izmit Bay, Turkey, Independent design check
• Mersey Gateway Crossing, UK, project develop ment & site audit
• River Don Crossing, Scotland, detail design
• Wild Coast Bridges, South Africa detail design
We have an impressive scope of work to deliver on a diverse range of bridge, railway and highway projects such as:
• Bridge replacement designs for the M4 and M6 Smart Motorways Projects
• Feasibility studies, designs and checking for pedestrian/cyclist bridges
• Design of elevated viaducts for the extension of Dubai Metro in the UAE
• Lower Thames Crossing
In addition to these projects we anticipate securing a number of significant and iconic bridge projects in the near future.
The Swindon office, with a busy team of some 30 bridge engineers and technicians, plays a key role in expanding the bridges business for the company, both regionally and internationally. With recent increase in the portfolio of projects that we need to deliver, we are now looking to expand the team.
We are looking for a Bridge Engineer with experience of delivering projects involving new build analysis, detailed design, bridge inspection, assessment and rehabilitation schemes. You will be passionate about bridge design, have a desire to succeed and be part of a winning team. A talented and enthusiastic engineer with several years of applied experience, you will be looking to play a leading role in a project team that is responsible for the delivery of a range of challenging and ultimately rewarding projects.
This role will provide you with first class career development opportunities and enable you to become involved in career defining, technically challenging projects both locally and internationally.
As such, we are looking for individuals seeking to take their career to the next level and work on projects that will become the highlight of their career to date.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
• Responsible for project delivery and able to undertake a range of technical work, ranging from independent working to working within a delivery team to respond to challenging bridge and highway related projects.
• Engage as bridge staff on tasks such as structural analysis, feasibility studies, tenders designs, detailed designs and the production of contract documents and technical reports.
• Use your knowledge and skills in working together with the team and other disciplines in providing an integrated service to clients
• Help seek innovative solutions in achieving best value in delivering our services
• Help development of the team through the delivery of projects and commissions, providing technical and administrative support and leadership where required
• Newly chartered bridge engineer role, with relevant work experience within a bridge design office. Specifically of the following areas Bridge design Bridge analysis Bridge assessment & inspection
• Membership of an appropriate professional body such as the ICE or IStructE • Desire to mentor and coach those around you to ensure project delivery and advance the technical abilities of others • Experience of successful delivery of bridge and highway related projects, and an ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team • Working knowledge of Eurocodes in the field of bridge design
• Experience of management of delivery of projects and project tasks
• Relevant accredited engineering degree, Minimum 2:1 (Master’s Degree level)
• Computer literate with previous experience of using a structural engineering package
• Excellent written and spoken ability in English as you will be expected to discuss project requirements with clients and produce quality reports and technical papers for review.
• Excellent numerical, analytical skills
• Ability to deliver presentations
Job: *Engineering - Civil
Title: Bridge Engineer - Swindon
Location: GB WILTSHIRE-Swindon
Requisition ID: 180003XI
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Jacobs is a background screening, drug-free workplace.