Jacobs Group Lead, Transportation in Toronto, Ontario
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
At Jacobs, we push the limits of what’s possible and help reinvent tomorrow. Our work meaningfully improves the livability and connectivity of our local communities, with a focus on building and strengthening an equitable, diverse, and inclusive society.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, caring, experienced and collaborative Group Leader role for our Transportation group. The Group Leader (GL) role will report to the Toronto Group Lead Manager and will have up to 20 Transportation staff as direct reports. The expectation is that the Group Lead will be in the Toronto area.
The Group Leader is a strategic management role focusing on staff leadership and working with their teams to support and advance career performance and development. This includes identifying career opportunities and connection with our business deliverables, which includes identifying specific needs and contacts for mentorship, coaching, networking, etc. as well as day to day management of proposal and project workload for the team.
Here is what you’ll be doing:
• Promote a culture of caring, quality, safety, and Inclusion and Diversity
• Exemplify, promote and lead Jacobs’ Values (We do things right, We challenge the accepted, We aim higher and We live inclusion)
• Manage performance and help talent grow and develop, using the e3 process
• Steward career development – work with staff and identified mentors for basic business understanding and sustainment, growth opportunities and skill
• Coach, develop and mentor staff to deliver superior results collectively and individually
• Build team culture in concert with overall performance unit and company goals/strategy and communicates with aligned staff (i.e., regular Group meetings
(monthly) and 1:1 meetings (biweekly or monthly))
• Optimize financial utilization of pool of aligned resources and manage team within available operating budgets
• Balance utilization across levels to ensure staffing profitability at on projects
• Partner with the Managers of Projects (MoP), Market Sectors Sales Leads (MSSLs), Client Sales Leads (CSLs), and Sales team to build sustainable work
• Utilize workforce planning tool to track and manage staff utilization on a weekly basis and partner with MoPs, Project Mangers (PMs) and other execution
staff to deliver per contract schedule and budget
• Act as hiring manager for required staff, working in concert with others around established hiring plans; including helping the business achieve
TogetherBeyond goals and integrate new hires
• Partner with Regional Market Solutions Leaders (RMSLs) to communicate any messaging and help to disperse knowledge and incorporate new
technologies within assigned field
• Coordinate across Geographies/Regions/Business Units/Lines of Business to optimize resource management and provide opportunities for staff and
• Work with GL Manager, Operations Leader (OL) and the rest of the management team to achieve staff retention goals
• Support MoPs (Manager of Projects) and project delivery leads in various initiatives to improve technical, quality, financial and schedule performance across
Jacobs portfolio of projects
• Support project delivery leads to drive and elevate a culture of disciplined delivery across our portfolio of projects to continuously enhance Jacobs
performance through the consistent delivery of high-quality, value-added solutions and services to our clients
• Approve time and expenses for aligned staff
• Increase Global Integrated Delivery engagement through our Global Delivery Centres (GDC)s for delivery and relationships (as required by project portfolios)
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Strong inspirational leadership skills
• Demonstrated experience coaching and mentoring
• Demonstrated aptitude, ability, and capacity to build a team
• Strong social, communication, planning and organizational skills
• Ability to develop other front-line leaders as part of succession planning
• Understanding of the holistic role between GLs, MoPs, MSSLs, RMSLs and Global Principals (GPs) to lead and grow a sustainable team to
meet business objectives
• Minimum 10 years of experience in design, program delivery and/or project management of transit or transportation projects/programs
• Formalized education /degree in engineering or related field is preferred but not required; also Professional Registration is preferred
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.