Jacobs Owner’s Engineer / Technical Advisor in Toronto, Ontario
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Whether it’s for cleaning water, hosting businesses, or connecting our world, solutions are continuously being implemented. What we do is more than construction; we play a part in moving a vision from concept to reality. We work everyday to create the spaces people live in and the infrastructure to improve their lives. If you want to join a company where you can have tangible impact, join our Toronto team as an Owner’s Engineer / Technical Advisor.
In this role, you’ll represent the Owner and Designer during construction, helping to assure progression of work and resolution of issues aligns with their best interests, while considering the construction delivery challenges of the constructor using a firm-but-fair approach. You will be the key point of contact between the Owner, Jacobs field team, and the constructor; prepared to provide response, information, or action at any-time desired by the Owner. You’ll lead and oversee a team of multi-disciplinary resources delivering risk management, contract administration, compliance auditing, progress monitoring, quality assuring inspection and testing, and change/claims management on behalf of the Owner and Designer.
You’ll use experience and insights gleaned from the project team and from sources of project information, to prioritize and optimize resources with objective of delivering our contractual obligations more safely, efficiently, and effectively; and identifying risks at earliest point of detection and collecting project intelligence of highest probability of future need and value to the Owner and/or Designer. You’ll proactively assess risk and take ownership of topics, activities, and issues of moderate-to-high risk/interest to the Owner, working with technical teams and the constructor to develop resolutions that reduce impact to progression of the work while mitigating risk to the Owner.
You’ll provide visible leadership and actions aligned with Jacobs core values, by promoting a culture of safety, inclusion, diversity, and innovation. You’ll support talent mentorship and business development, as well as will support the Project Manager with the development of project safety and execution plans; and forecasting of resource needs and burn-rates. You’ll lead internal team meetings and cascade top-down / down-up information, and attend external project meetings in capacity as key Owner’s representative.
You’ll be responsible for maintaining the Owner’s Project Risk/Issue Log, with specific inputs into topics of moderate-to-high risk/priority based on any actions taken or information gleaned, status, outcomes, and lessons learned; as well as responsible for moderating the priority, position, and actions to be taken by the Jacobs field delivery team; adjusting in a proactive, dynamic, and value/results driven manner
You’ll have overall accountability for Jacobs field delivery team adoption, adherence, and performance against the Jacobs Global Field Services Code of Conduct, Project Safety Plan, and Project Execution Plan; as well as for the timely, accurate, completeness, consistency, and quality of project information being collected; or in the communication between the Jacobs field delivery team and the constructor.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• At least 20 years of industry experience; alternative consideration may be made with demonstration of minimum 10 years direct experience in Pharmaceutical or Advanced Facilities end-market
• Licensed Professional Engineer in good standing with the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO); or a Certified Engineering Technologist with the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologies (OACETT); or ability to procure the required designation in a timely manner
• Demonstrated experience in the last five (5) years in similar, or progression of, key project roles held in capacity as Owner’s Engineer / Technical Advisor
• Demonstrate leadership and willingness to adopt and support new digital ways, and leverage data to drive more effective decision making
• Preferred experience delivering projects involving: Advanced facilities, pharmaceutical, life-sciences, process equipment, instrumentation and controls, and commissioning
• Preferred experience with alternative delivery projects (DB, P3, CMAR, IPD); and familiarity with contracting documents such as CCDC 5b Construction Management
• Other areas of experience as an asset: Demolition, removals, environmental, geotechnical, deep utilities, shallow utilities, 3rd-party works, street lighting and signals, roadways, concrete; foundations, structural, electrical, mechanical, architectural
Note that while many aspects of this position can be delivered remotely, a local presence is required, and should expect minimum 10% travel and on-site presence throughout a weekly rotation (fluctuating according to pace and progression of construction, the constructor’s performance, and/or the Clients need).
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.