Jacobs Senior Estimator - Transit / Rail in Toronto, Ontario
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Jacobs is looking to add a Senior Estimator to its team here in Toronto who will be responsible to help deliver a large multi-billion Transit / Rail project. If you’re looking to challenge today and reinvent tomorrow, consider joining our team where you can be you and we will foster your growth, both professionally and personally.
The Senior Estimator will be responsible for the generation of accurate and timely cost estimates for assigned projects. The Estimator will deliver properly organized estimates, budgets, and schedules. The Senior Estimator will be developing cost estimates to arrive at Target Price during Co-development phase and will also review cost estimates and elements developed by others.
What You Will Do Here:
• Develop estimates (mainly Civil/Structural/Architectural) in the accuracy and level of detail required for the intended purpose of the estimate including but not limited to arriving at a Target Price as part of progressive contracting approach.
• Assist in developing a comprehensive and thoroughly documented estimating basis for all estimates.
• Thoroughly understand the principles of estimating. Understand the relationships between the project controls functions—estimating, planning/scheduling, and cost control.
• Actively review and understand key aspects of the request for proposal or project contract. Implement estimating methods that support the requirements.
• Verify quantity take-offs for a particular discipline.
• Develop conceptual and definitive estimates for a particular discipline for projects within a specific business group that are aligned with company standards and estimate class. Use the project scope, material take-offs, and client requirements to develop the project estimate.
• Review the project estimate, project breakdown framework, and project schedule.
• Work with lead staff to estimate cost impacts of proposed design or construction changes.
• Support the estimating team in maintaining and trending historical cost data from actual hours, costs, and pricing.
• Assist with implementing, maintaining, and administering the Change Management System
• Assist in the preparation of change orders in coordination with project members, consultants, and other stakeholders.
• Assist in the preparation of projects budget.
• Analyzes documents, specifications, proposals, addendums in preparation for pricing.
• Performs any estimate related oral and/or written communications with clients.
• Reviewing project site prior to price preparation.
• Obtains input from Operations staff as appropriate.
• Performs quantity take-off from construction drawings where applicable.
• Obtains pricing from suppliers and incorporate into estimate.
• Formulates all costs for tender submission – labour, equipment, material, rentals, and subcontracts.
• Tracks, forecasts, and reports weekly on the financial and operational performance of awarded projects and provides data for month-end reconciliations.
• Drives Estimating process / procedure compliance and consistency.
• Assists with RFP’s and General Contract tender submissions.
• Assists with Prequalification submissions, RFQ’s and RFIs as required.
• Maintains Estimating data systems to ensure they are kept up to date.
• Able to perform in a fast-paced environment.
• Drive an inclusive culture to promote equity, welcome different perspectives, and enable career progression by fostering a sense of belonging.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• 10+ years of progressive experience with increasing responsibility.
• Active membership in AACE, PMI, MRICS or similar association.
• P.Eng. is a plus.
• Diploma / Degree – Civil / Construction / Mechanical / Electrical / Business.
• Prior Estimating / Operational experience in Civil/Structural/Architectural considered an asset.
• Prior estimating and experience in progressive contracting models and establishment of Target Price considered an asset.
• Ability to read and understand construction drawings and contract documents.
• Thorough knowledge of contract language / Terms and Conditions / Bonding etc.
• Good knowledge of job cost fundamentals and basic accounting / reporting principles an asset.
• Self-motivated with excellent organizational skills.
• Strong computer skills – MS Excel / Word / Project, P6, TILOS and estimating software.
• Great communication skills – oral and written.
• Ability to work accurately, effectively under pressure.
• Adaptable to flexible work schedule when required to meet deadlines.
• Ability to be stationed on major remote projects during construction.
• Ability to work with others as a team.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.