Jacobs CEI Construction Inspector - Transportation in Virginia Beach, Virginia
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our team is experiencing exciting growth! Jacobs has the need for a Construction Inspector to join our team in Virginia Beach. Successful candidates will perform inspections of roadways, bridges, traffic signals and related highway structures during construction to evaluate Contractor methods, workmanship, quality, and conformance with contract documents. Candidates will evaluate construction materials for quality and compliance with specifications; perform related work such as data collection, report writing, record-keeping, field and laboratory testing. Employees at this level typically work autonomously on assignments but are expected to provide quality daily reports and regularly communicate with the client’s Construction Managers and Jacobs Coordinator.
As our Construction Inspector you will be asked to monitor and inspect contractual field work which includes excavations, drainage facilities, road surfaces, and structures. You will take field measurements of pay items, report contractor’s daily production rates as well as schedule work and inspection phases with contractor’s superintendent and agency personnel.
We will look to your expertise in advising contractors of violations and make recommendations for adjustments to operations. You will review placement of and perform tests on construction materials, review lines, grades, dimensions, and elevations using standard survey and field engineering equipment. Additionally, you’ll oversee and enforce the installation of erosion/siltation controls, highways work zones and traffic control devices.
When you join Jacobs, you will have the opportunity to recommend changes to construction plans to meet field conditions or provide project cost savings, maintain project records; including daily diaries, materials notebooks, as-built plans, pay quantity records, and monthly estimates.
You’ll be asked to review and monitor Equal Employment Opportunity/Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) documentation and compliance with Federal labor requirements/regulations for Federal-aid construction projects, ensuring contractor compliance with program requirements.
At Jacobs, we’re partnering across the globe to create the best project outcomes by maximizing the design, digital technology, and support capabilities of our Global Integrated Delivery (GID) teammates. By joining Jacobs, you’ll commit to supporting and engaging with these teams, as we work to build a company like no other.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Previous experience in construction inspection for transportation or ports and maritime projects
• Required to have and maintain a satisfactory driving record
• Ability to maintain detailed records
• Ability to move up to 50 pounds is required
• Ability to effectively follow instructions and deal effectively with contractors and the public
• Ability to read and interpret transportation plans, VDOT specifications and VDOT standard details
• Knowledge of construction including material, methods, plans and specifications associated safety requirements
• Perform calculations using algebra, trigonometry, and geometry
• Experience using Contract Management software including Site Manager
• Functional computer usage including familiarity with Microsoft office suite software
• Able and willing to work day or night shifts and/or flexible schedules including weekends as required to support the project requirements
• Work under exposure to inclement weather conditions
• Ability to promote and maintain a safe working environment
Ideally you will also need the following VDOT Certifications:
• Soil and Aggregate Field Compaction
• Asphalt Field
• Hydraulic Cement Concrete Field
• Pavement Marking
• Flagger Certification
Additional Expected Certifications:
• Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Certification for Erosion and Sediment Control Inspection
• Work Zone Traffic Control Training (Intermediate Level)
• Nuclear Gauge Safety Training
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $15 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 60,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.