Jacobs Open Source Analyst/Linguist Jr. in Kuwait
The Counterintelligence Operational Support Team provides Counterintelligence (CI) analysis services that includes the fusing intelligence and collecting of raw data from multiple sources and varying classifications to identify threats, trends, structures, and locations of Foreign Intelligence Entities (FIE). This includes the dissemination of time-sensitive and non-time-sensitive Force Protection (FP) threat information and assessments to supported Commanders including six (6) Air Force Central (AFCENT) forward deployed units within the CENTCOM AOR and one (1) CONUS based unit.
• Collaborate in a multi-faceted team supporting DOD mission with foreign language translation assistance. The transcription, translation, and interpretation skills will be the primary function of this position.
• Conduct analysis using intelligence and information from publicly available open sources to assess, interpret, forecast, and explain a range of national security issues and developments that are regional or functional in nature.
• Provide open-source analytic support to collections, operations, investigations, and other defense intelligence analytic requirements. Analytical support may also include briefings on relevance of findings.
• Research and analyze foreign and domestic-based publicly available information and media outlets to identify trends, patterns, and relationships that provide unique insights to address defense intelligence requirements. Sources may include, but are not limited to news articles, magazines, newspapers, TV, radio, etc.). Translate open-source information.
• Conduct research and social network analysis on publicly available information in target language, producing threat reporting and/or advising on cultural themes or events.
• Assists with language and cultural reviews of Media Exploitation (MEDEX) efforts.
• Stay informed of issues and trending topics with the local community via social media and other publicly available sources.
• Provide and develop cultural awareness briefs, unit mission briefs, or other talking points and analytical products as determined by AFOSI field leadership.
• Transcribing. The contractor shall capture in writing, a transcript from a source language into a target language. Source material may be in the form of audio and/or media recordings, real- time interactions/interviews, preexisting text, or other and/or other sources. The Contractor shall ensure the integrity, context, and intent of the source language is sustained in the written output; the written output shall be a literal translation.
• Translating. The contractor shall translate, in writing, original source information, including communicating an equivalent sentiment and meaning of the source information into the written output in order to fully convey the objective and meaning of the source information.
• Interpreting. The contractor shall provide accurate interpreting services for real-time interactions/interviews. Interpretations shall include use of accurate idiomatic translations, correct syntax and expressions from target language to English and vice versa and may require use of slang or colloquial words and phrases. The Contractor shall advise the Government through translation and interpretation that applies understanding of cultural and ethnic frameworks for both English and the target sources.
• Cultural Advising. The Contractor shall apply deep understanding of culture and social media habits of relevant populations.
• Must be able to travel within the AOR 60% of the time, on average, and depending on location.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Must be a U.S. citizen.
• Must have Secret level Clearance at time of hire.
• Must have two (2) years’ experience with researching in the source language on foreign language websites.
• Must meet at a minimum the criteria of ILRT level 3 in all three modalities (reading, listening, and speaking). Language proficiency shall be determined via DLPT, ILRT, Oral Proficiency Instruction (OPI), or equivalent language testing. Arabic – Modern Standard/Gulf Dialect
• Must demonstrate ability to understand essentials of all speech in a standard dialect and have broad enough vocabulary that the need for paraphrasing or explanation is rare.
• Must be able to follow accurately the essentials of conversations between educated native speakers, reasonably make and answer telephone calls, understand radio broadcasts, news stories similar to wire service reports, oral reports, some oral technical reports and public addresses on non-technical subjects.
• Must have the ability to communicate complex issues clearly in a concise and organized manner both verbally and non-verbally, with strong grammar skills.
• Must be able to translate high level conversations in real-time using the consecutive interpreting style.
• Desired Experience: Native proficiency in Iraqi Arabic
• Previous experience as a military interpreter (e.g., Army MOS 09L).
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.