Jacobs Network Engineer – Voice/Design in Warrenton, Virginia
Challenging Today. Reinventing Tomorrow.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
At Jacobs, we challenge the status quo and redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, transforming big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow
Jacobs is seeking a Network Engineer to work across sites in Manassas, VA & San Antonio TX This role will be responsible for design, engineering, testing, evaluation, and performance analysis for an
Duties will include:
• Diagnose hardware and software problems and replace defective components.
• Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
• Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
• Monitor the performance of computer systems and networks to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability.
• Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures and maintain control records.
• Configure, and test hardware, networking software and operating system software.
• Prepare technical proposals for presentation to the customer's engineering review boards for adding new technologies to the network.
• Perform a full range of upgrades in accordance with existing network architecture.
• Review user requests for upgrades or additions to the network to assess impact on network performance and provide advice and guidance on the most practical technical approach to meeting user requirements.
• Perform long term O&M activities to include tier 3 troubleshooting and problem resolution.
• Utilize complex network analysis tools to identify and correct problems in the network.
• Prepare troubleshooting procedures for restoring the network to optimal performance levels.
• Provide fault management for the network and supports performance management functions.
• Respond, isolate, and resolve network troubles. Monitor alarms and alerts to identify network elements causing network degradation or failure.
• Maintain logs and records associated with reported problems or situations.
• Execute reporting functions and data input associated with network management.
• Monitor security posture of the network, report suspected violations to designated authority.
• Coordinate with configuration management and implementation teams.
• Perform operator-level maintenance on components for network management systems.
• Install, configure, and support an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), customer's Internet Network, Intranet, and other data communications systems or a segment of network system.
• May supervise other network support and client server specialists and plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
5 years of directly related experience or more
Bachelors degree in a related field or 4 additional years of experience
• Current DODD8140/8570 IAT Level 2 certification (or higher)
• Cisco CCNA certification
• Experience with a broad range of Cisco products
• Understanding of internetworking routing protocols & technologies (TCP/IP, VPLS, DMVPN, EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, VRRP, HSRP, NHRP).
Most work will be done at a desk or computer.
General Office environment. The work environment is fast-paced and sometimes involves extreme deadline pressures. The nature of the work requires a high degree of teamwork and cooperation with other members of the staff as well as individuals across the Company and Customers.
Equipment & Machines:
General office equipment including PC/laptop, Fax, Copiers, Shredder, Printers, Telephone, and other miscellaneous office equipment.
Attendance is always critical. Must be able to work a 40-hour workweek, normally Monday through Friday. However, times and days may vary depending on business requirements. Needs to be available to work overtime during critical peaks and be available to meet last minute requests for overtime should the situation occur.
Other Essential Functions:
Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
Must be able to interface with individuals at all levels of the organization both verbally and in writing. Must be well-organized with the ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously. Must work well under pressure to meet deadline requirements. Must be willing to travel as needed. Must take and pass a drug test and background check as well as a motor vehicle records check. Must be a US citizen.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .