Jacobs Principal / Senior Civil and Structural Engineer in Warrington, United Kingdom
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow, and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
About the opportunity:
About the Role;
Reporting to the SCP CS&A RE, the Senior / Principal Civil and Structural Engineer should have a good knowledge of civil and structural design and construction including an appreciation of modelling software such as STAAD-Pro and mathematical aids such as MATHCAD.
They must be able to communicate well and have a drive to deliver and be able to specify design requirements and consider the future development and future proofing issues surrounding the same.
The structural design will primarily comprise reinforced concrete and structural steelwork and therefore familiarity in these design areas is essential. Structural types include concrete process cells, steelwork superstructures (including crane support) and pipe bridges. The design will be carried out using Eurocodes and experience of these codes or the flexibility to adapt to these codes will be necessary.
Design process includes rigorous checking procedures and interaction with team members to ensure the quality of the work produced. In addition, it may be necessary to attend meetings and make site visits during which time there will be dialogue with other discipline engineers, project engineers and site operations.
This is a senior role and being able to communicate at all levels, not just Technical, is essential. They will need to lead this process ensuring stake holder buy in and confidence in challenging others. They need to be self-motivated, striving to deliver to agreed targets and be comfortable working in a team as well as on their own.
Key activities the candidate will be expected to undertake are as follows:
• Nuclear and conventional safety cases – support and justification via reports, calculations and meetings/ reviews
• Liaise and coordinate with ONR to demonstrate compliance with Site Licence Conditions
• Support and justification for Construction Crane Safety Cases (CCSC) and demonstration of ALARP approaches
• Coordination of constructability between CSA and other disciplines, and between Design and Site Construction
• Resolution of construction issues, TQs, Concessions and Production Permits
• Design and checking of miscellaneous specialist calculations and reports
• General ongoing deign reviews in support of manufacture, and conducting specific SDDRs and MDDRs as appropriate
• Package management for specific issues not captured within the general programme
• Production, reviewing and checking of over-arching engineering documents such as Scopes of Work, Specifications, and Design Justification reports
• Continual ongoing assurance of the application of CDM and the recording of such
• Reviewing, justifying and preparing Design Changes deemed necessary to satisfy the CSA design case
• Liaising and determining scope and output for third-party and proprietary suppliers
• Support for Procurement: obtain realistic overall costs, invitations to tender and tender reviews, breakdown of works, programme reviews, support with claims and variations.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• A minimum of several plus years (ideally many years) post-graduate experience of designated skill set preferably within the nuclear industry or related transferrable industry. Degree qualified preferably institute accredited. Chartered with a relevant professional institute.
• Experience and familiarity with designing for delivery/implementation and associated project construction and execution.
• Experience of and ability to design for manufacture.
• Familiarity with and application of current standards within their own skilled arena and an appreciation of multi-design interactions and interfaces.
• Evidence of design capability working as part of a multi-discipline team. Confidence and demonstrable capability to be able to work with minimal supervision to meet end outcomes or clearly and defined targets and engage with and challenge all parties.
• Experience of working within a highly regulated industry, preferably within the nuclear industry
• The candidate will need to manage their own workload and drive completion of the work scope
• The candidate will need to be able to communicate effectively with team members and with the Client
• Good working knowledge of MS Office products.
Good working knowledge of design approaches and potential CAE systems as appropriate to delivery of complex designs within their own skilled arena
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.