Jacobs Senior Scientist - Gamma in Warrington, United Kingdom
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow, and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Work life balance and flexibility is a key business strategy focus for Jacobs therefore we are considering flexible working hours, patterns, and locations to suit you and our business requirements.
About the opportunity:
The Analytical Services department undertakes environmental and radiochemical analysis on a broad range of sample matrices for multiple client sectors. Supported by a sample preparation team, project managers and consultants the predominant activities are a mixture of consulting, sample preparation, chemical and radiochemical analyses.
Analytical testing plays an essential role in supporting the legal environmental compliance clients require when operating, decommissioning, and building nuclear facilities as well ensuring on-going safe working environments.
Based in Birchwood, Warrington, and acting as a key technical member of staff, the role is a hands-on role which includes supervising/training other members of staff, managing their workload, maintaining quality, and ensuring on-time delivery of results in the Gamma laboratory.
In addition to performing analyses, developing, and validating radiochemistry test methods and acting as an authorised signatory for test reports is also an important part of the role.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Qualification in an appropriate scientific subject, preferably a Post-graduate Radiochemistry qualification including Gamma Spectroscopy
• Experience in high resolution gamma spectroscopy with both sodium iodide and germanium detectors.
• Hands-on practical experience of gamma spectrometry ideally in a fast-paced commercial laboratory for multiple sample material types
• Strong spectrum interpretation and data analysis skills
• Experience in applying test results to client requirements/requests and report review
• Experience working in a high throughput UKAS accredited laboratory
• Ability to train/mentor/support junior members of staff
• Excellent self-management and personnel supervisory skills.
• Good organisational skills
• Knowledge of health, safety and radiological safety issues in laboratories.
• Communication skills to work as part of a team and the ability to discuss tasks with others from different technical disciplines.
• Willingness to work in clean conditions in a controlled radioactive laboratory.
• Ability to plan and manage workloads to tight deadlines
• Extensive knowledge of the radiological testing activities such as gross alpha/beta counting, light scintillation detectors, tritium analysis etc.
• Experience in radiochemistry consultancy
• The ability to apply practical skills and knowledge to devise solutions for problems.
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.