Jacobs Principal Engineer - Rail Telecoms in York, United Kingdom
At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
Our People & Places Solutions business - reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
About the opportunity
Reporting to the Telecoms Head of Discipline, you will drive the delivery of Railway Telecom projects to meet our clients greatest challenges whilst ensuring technical excellence and delivery.
• Carry out the duties of Telecom Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) or Project Engineer (PE) as required.
• Ensure internal and contractor’s design/construction/specialists’ personnel have the correct competencies.
• Manage all Telecom engineering activities on allocated projects so that they result in schemes that are affordable and meet programme requirements in a safe and environmentally responsible manner for time, cost and quality.
• Manage the design and/or construction elements of allocated projects ensuring they meet the requirements of current legislation, including construction design management (CDM) and CSM-RA regulations.
• Provide advice in respect of all construction activities, including testing and commissioning and site supervision.
• Assist the Head of Discipline (HoD) in developing a culture of technical excellence by driving a right first-time approach.
• Monitor design and specialist consultants and contractors.
• Assist the HoD in the development & innovative solutions.
• Identify and help to share best practice across all project teams.
Whilst there is no set location for this role, it will require the ability to travel in line with business needs.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Degree/HNC or relevant experience;
• Good communicator
• An understanding of the arrangements required for the independent assessment of work.
• CDM, CSM-RA, risk assessment, engineering management competency.
• Experience in people management
• A working knowledge of Network Rail and other client Standards
• Specific experience of project development for telecom schemes, NR approval processes and deliverables criteria for telecom schemes.
• Excellent knowledge of Operational Telecom systems (FTN, FTNx, GSM-R, Telephony, Optical and Copper cable design)
• Approved as a Network Rail Contractors Responsible Engineers (CRE) or previously worked as a Network Rail Project Engineer
• Knowledge of quality assurance
• Membership of a relevant professional body with chartered status.
• Knowledge of structuring safety cases in support of projects.
• An appreciation of environmental issues in engineering works.
• Project safety management experience
• Knowledge of EMC in Rail Environment (EN50121) and experience in the production of EMC Strategies and Control Plans
• Telecoms IRSE Design License
• Knowledge of Bentley Microstation software package
• An industry recognised specialist in your technical discipline
• A passion for innovation and technical excellence
• Interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
• Complex Problem solver
• Delivers Solutions
• Customer Focus
• Situational Adaptability
• Strategic Mindset
• A Global Mindset and demonstrated ability to work across cultures and remotely with our Global Integrated Delivery teams
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs. (https://careers.jacobs.com/life-at-jacobs/)
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here. (https://www.jacobs.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity?_ga=2.1062705.1096535124.1626879887-1704311048.1575562676)
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2) .
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know. (https://www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2)